SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wrong forum?
Anyway

My name starts with a J and rhymes with "people seem to like me".
I am here because I am, but more so 'cos of Google bringing me here.

I found an 09 T5 which I learned has the 2.4 and also a bangin' turbocharger. It looks great, but is undergoing inspection at the dealer so I have yet to drive it. Is there anything in particular to look out for on a 50k+ T5?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Personally I'd recommend buying a used 744, they're supposed to be very good in the snow and pretty quick. If you can find one of those I'd definitely snatch it up! :D

But in all seriousness make sure the transmission isn't misbehaving or shifting jerkily from 2nd-3rd. Check the service history obviously, depending on the mileage you could be looking at the 60k mile service, which isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
14,140 Posts
S40 T5? I think that would be the only T5 available in '09. Best post your question over in that area.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Nah they did have T5s in 09. That was the last year of the P2 S60 T5s though. They're nice cars. Similar engine but a few less ponies. Not to mention the lack of AWD and 4c.
You could get the 4c suspension as an option on the T5, it's very rear but it was available.

By 2009 all of the major issues for the car had long been sorted out so there is nothing in particular that stands out for major problems like the Rs or early s60s.

I will say as a T5 owner the car shines in the upper rpm ranges and suffers from a bit of turbo lag so an older driver might prefer a 2.5t which doesn't have nearly the lag of a stock T5.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally I'd recommend buying a used 744, they're supposed to be very good in the snow and pretty quick. If you can find one of those I'd definitely snatch it up! :D
I already have one of those. And did you miss the part where I mentioned that the T5 isnt going to be for me?
VolvoPolestar can find enough smiley faces for this thread I bet. Lol.
Stop crying troll. All you losers who crawl the boards leaving crappy posts are the real Trolls.

Im here to get some info on a car that I found. Probably going to buy it also. Not that any of this matters to you. I am just a spirit who lives in fantasy land and drives nothing but a horse drawn carriage.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I already have one of those. And did you miss the part where I mentioned that the T5 isnt going to be for me?

Stop crying troll. All you losers who crawl the boards leaving crappy posts are the real Trolls.

Im here to get some info on a car that I found. Probably going to buy it also. Not that any of this matters to you. I am just a spirit who lives in fantasy land and drives nothing but a horse drawn carriage.
I remember that, I also remember you mentioning about how Brickspeed was a much more mature and fact oriented community, and how the 744 is amazing in the snow, and that R owners are just too laid back and opinionated about their cars for you, and that the M46 transmission is amazing.

I believe you're the one who started this on the S60T5 vs S60R thread which incidentally was locked because of your comments, and later when you created another thread with the intention to annoy/troll us on the R-forum, which was also locked after a few minutes.

My advice would be to eat your lumps, you started this, stop whining about how now you're being trolled.

Oh and welcome to the internet :)

·
Registered
501 Posts

I am not trying to be disrespectful but you can't expect people to help you and take the time to give you a well thought out post when you bash their cars and forum? You are also searching for information on the T5 and you were looking in the R forum, the reason why there is so much disinformation regarding the T5 on that section of the forum is because many of them have never researched or considered buying one, most of them knew they wanted an R, so you cant really expect them to know otherwise.

On an other note as I said before the 09 T5 is solid and all of the major quirks of these cars like the valve body, dim, and etm had long been sorted out.

Also like I said before the car does suffer from turbo lag in an unmodified form but when you test drive the car with your folks you can decide if its something they can live with.

Common issues that come to mind on all the p2 volvos are strut mount and end link failures, the engines and oil traps are also known to build up with sludge if regular maintenance is not performed. If the Pcv system is clogged,which is unlikely given the milage, it can be an expensive repair since parts are about $300 and you have to remove the intake manifold to access the flame trap. Lastly as you may know Volvo claims the transmission fluid is a lifetime fluid but many have expirenced shifting issues and shift flare in earlier models it is a consensus on this and other forums to change the fluid every 30-40k to prevent any failures.

Do you have any specific questions about the car?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
LOL. Your posts are so entertaining, especially since I'm bored as F in my dorm right now.

But get the T5, they're awesome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I remember that, I also remember you mentioning about how Brickspeed was a much more mature and fact oriented community
This dice get thrown around a bit differently around here. I think it has to do with the age of the bricks. There are the geysers who grew up with the cars and know their history..so when someone throws out wrong facts without caution they seem to be called out immediately

...and how the 744 is amazing in the snow[...]and that the M46 transmission is amazing.
Someone mentioned that the 744 would be useless in anything over a foot of snow. My response was that, with my winter tires I had no problem plowing through some deep powdery snow that I came across last winter in Oregon.
M46 is a average, but better than most automatics in my biased opinion.
I believe you're the one who started this on the S60T5 vs S60R thread[/QUOTE]
Yea that was me.

My advice would be to eat your lumps, you started this, stop whining about how now you're being trolled.
All I started was a motion of citing proper sources. That link I left put the "conversation" to rest with some hard fact, kind of like stone cold steve austin laying some smack down on the peons of earth.
It was the douchebag who started throwing at 'ad hominem' which ticked me off to the point of ****ting into the proverbial fan. Yet im the troll. Who the F' cares. I never even understand what people mean by that title anyway. OOO I highlight some perceived shortcomings of a car that you drive. "Aaah you troll go f$#K your mother" .....yeah Im the troll alright.

Oh and welcome to the internet :)
:peace:

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
874 Posts
I am not trying to be disrespectful but you can't expect people to help you and take the time to give you a well thought out post when you bash their cars and forum? You are also searching for information on the T5 and you were looking in the R forum, the reason why there is so much disinformation regarding the T5 on that section of the forum is because many of them have never researched or considered buying one, most of them knew they wanted an R, so you cant really expect them to know otherwise.

On an other note as I said before the 09 T5 is solid and all of the major quirks of these cars like the valve body, dim, and etm had long been sorted out.

Also like I said before the car does suffer from turbo lag in an unmodified form but when you test drive the car with your folks you can decide if its something they can live with.

Common issues that come to mind on all the p2 volvos are strut mount and end link failures, the engines and oil traps are also known to build up with sludge if regular maintenance is not performed. If the Pcv system is clogged,which is unlikely given the milage, it can be an expensive repair since parts are about $300 and you have to remove the intake manifold to access the flame trap. Lastly as you may know Volvo claims the transmission fluid is a lifetime fluid but many have expirenced shifting issues and shift flare in earlier models it is a consensus on this and other forums to change the fluid every 30-40k to prevent any failures.

Do you have any specific questions about the car?
Did you even bother rereading your first post in the S60R vs S50T5 thread? You made yourself sound like a douchbag from the getgo. Now if you actually wanted to find out information, you may have gone about it in a different way.

The 05+ T5's are good cars. If you bothered at all to read the thread you got locked, you would know that. I have put 40K miles on mine in the past 2 years (now at 65K) and have only had small problems (covered by CPO). I had my CPO extended to 7 years or 100K miles. You can probably do something similar for the 09, but CPO usually is $2-3K on top of asking price. Car has never left me stranded, never not started on me, and has generally not had any problems.

They do require a good amount of maintenance. M66 cars have the same slave cylinder issues that the Rs have. The rear parking brakes tend to explode in the 60K to 80K mile range. Glovebox and center console squeek and can be pretty annoying. Rear seats have very little leg room, but the seats are very comfortable. And add everything Tstats said above.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
This dice get thrown around a bit differently around here. I think it has to do with the age of the bricks. There are the geysers who grew up with the cars and know their history..so when someone throws out wrong facts without caution they seem to be called out immediately

Someone mentioned that the 744 would be useless in anything over a foot of snow. My response was that, with my winter tires I had no problem plowing through some deep powdery snow that I came across last winter in Oregon.
M46 is a average, but better than most automatics in my biased opinion.
I believe you're the one who started this on the S60T5 vs S60R thread
Yea that was me.

All I started was a motion of citing proper sources. That link I left put the "conversation" to rest with some hard fact, kind of like stone cold steve austin laying some smack down on the peons of earth.
It was the douchebag who started throwing at 'ad hominem' which ticked me off to the point of ****ting into the proverbial fan. Yet im the troll. Who the F' cares. I never even understand what people mean by that title anyway. OOO I highlight some perceived shortcomings of a car that you drive. "Aaah you troll go f$#K your mother" .....yeah Im the troll alright.

:peace:
Alright I'm done, anyone who is curious about what happened go to the R forum and look at the 2 most recently locked threads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep your right. Definitely didnt come here to make friends or receive some sort of soft welcome to the board. I knew that what I said would piss people off, just didnt know some people would take it so far up the a5s.
What I wanted to show was that some short research could have put that thread to rest. Having a comnversation with another guy about what you think you remember hearing some guy say about T5's....it may be entertaining for 'you,' but realize this is public domain and your comments are published. It's not easy to discern between the guys with the real info vs the guys spewing bull****.

Not You you-- universal you. Comprende ?

FWIW, Here is the T5 Im looking at, pretty sure it just out of warranty and is being sold by a Nissan dealership so any warranty will likely be out of the equation. It has around 50k miles. Needs a front bumper valence and foglight which was ripped off somehow. Theyre are asking 20K, I told him nah, and he immediately mentioned 18K. I still think there is room in that price.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The valance is cheap you can get it from Tasca Volvo for 90 dollars (unpainted) and the Volvo factory fog light kit which is a pair of lights and bulbs can be had for about 125ish so if you know a good body guy it might be worth your while to talk them down even more money and fix it yourself.

While the most likely thing that happened to the valance and fog light was that it was ripped off by a curb or in a parking lot, are there any other signs that the car might have been hit?

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
874 Posts
I would pay at most $14K for the car, given its exterior condition, missing lower valence/fog lights, etc. It's a rare car, but not pristine by any means.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts