SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing some cars around with roof rails, I decided I would price out some for s80's because I like the way they look. I will say that these would (most likely) be solely for cosmetic purposes, so I'm mainly looking for cheap. So far, I've only been able to find them made by Thule, and from "Steingold Volvo". Thule's got confusing with trying to find the vehicle-specific feet, but look to be about $400+. Steingold's are $255. If anyone has experience with roof racks on s80's, opinions are appreciated. I'm also trying to avoid the clamp that goes into the door frame if possible. Any advice would be great

Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you are looking for roof rail just for the "look",then,please take my advice and.....don't!Will car will have a slightly more fuel consumption and they are really noisy when driving.Fyi,the oem ones sold by volvo are made by thule.My recomandation,if you want to use them fir their real purpose..just buy the originals.They look so much better.Also,no roof bars on the market involve mounting clamps on the door frame.Just on the roof frame in the 8 holes already existing in the roof frame of your s80.Me and itwontstopsnowin have pics with the roof rails if you're interested in seeing s80's with oem roof rails.Good luck!

·
3,391 Posts
I have the OEM Volvo "wing profile" roof rails on my S80 and I run the in the winter for skiing. I do slide out the ski attachments when not in use because they make a ton of noise. The bars themselves also make some noise, but not as bad as with the attachments fitted, and the stereo usually masks the noise. It does look cool too. I do recommend the OEM volvo rack as it installs in minutes using the mounting points in the door jambs and is relatively inexpensive. The curve of the rack is also identical to the curve of the roof of the car, so it's a perfect look.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have the OEM Volvo "wing profile" roof rails on my S80 and I run the in the winter for skiing. I do slide out the ski attachments when not in use because they make a ton of noise. The bars themselves also make some noise, but not as bad as with the attachments fitted, and the stereo usually masks the noise. It does look cool too. I do recommend the OEM volvo rack as it installs in minutes using the mounting points in the door jambs and is relatively inexpensive. The curve of the rack is also identical to the curve of the roof of the car, so it's a perfect look.

Do you know of a good place to buy these? I saw some new ones for like 250

1 - 4 of 4 Posts