SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

'08 s60 2.5t. HPT or LPT?

5K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Stefan1235 
#1 ·
I am looking at a dealer ad, no horsepower quoted. Is this a HPT or LPT motor?

Thanks.

#5 ·
Above you said 2.5T. T5 is a 2.5, but not the same engine. LPT I think is 208 hp, the 2.5L T5 from 05+ is 257 hp. If you drive it you will know if its a T5. The T5 feels like a slug until 25 mph, then its a rush like cocaine (NOT from personal experience)

#7 ·
Read the engine code on the side of the timing belt cover...B525T_?

#9 ·
No pics of the REAR of the car!?!?

The trunk should make it obvious, unless it is debadged, which is rather unlikely

#16 · (Edited)
I thought so, but there has been misinformation about the 05+ T5 block here on SS. Which got the upsize? bore or stroke?

#11 ·
99% chance it is a 2.5T, which would be on the back of the trunklid. 208 HP, 236 Ft Lb torque.

#13 ·
T5's were 2.3 L from '94 until about '03 of '04, and then 2.4 L after that (except the '11 and later T5's were probably 2.5 L, at least the 2012 is.) There were 2 2.5 engines. the most common was the LPT which came in all the standard cars, AWD, 2.5T, etc. the "R" cars had 2.5, but it say S60R or V70R on the back. Almost certain this car is a LPT, because even the dealer would say it is an R car, they know those cost more.

#14 ·
As stated:

T5's up to '04 were 2.3L HPTurbos.
T5's from '05-'08 were 2.4L HPTurbos

2.5Ts are 2.5L LPTurbos

I'm pretty sure if the dealership is advertising it, they would make sure to note it is a T5 because of how rare they are relatively speaking. Now if it is a 6-speed car, you would bet the dealership would be marking up the price because 6-speed T5's are a rare breed for 2005+.

T5's are pretty slow until about 25 because 1st gear is SO FREAKIN short. Also, I think boost is limited in 1st for traction reasons. 2nd gear, on the other hand, brings a smile to my face every time.

Also, if you're still unsure, post a link to the ad and we can take a look. 05+ T5 engine bay is different than the 05+ 2.5T.

#17 ·
T5's are pretty slow until about 25 because 1st gear is SO FREAKIN short. Also, I think boost is limited in 1st for traction reasons. 2nd gear, on the other hand, brings a smile to my face every time.
Not sure about the newer cars, but on my s70 T5 if i disable the traction control I get 10 psi in first gear rather than being limited to 5 psi. Now traction, thats another story...

Sent from my rooted, rommed Galaxy Nexus....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.