SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my right low beam go out yesterday, pulled it apart only to find my wiring insulation was brittle and was falling apart. Major short hazard I figure, so I have the car parked till I get this fixed.

Can't find an H11 connector to splice in that has 3 wires. The consensus advice on the Facebook group Volvospeed was to use a two wire connector, and splice together the two brown ground wires. I went to iPD here in Portland this afternoon, and attempted to purchase a two wire connector. But the sales rep steered me away from doing that.

So I'm still sitting on my butt with a car with exposed electrical wiring, and haven't been able to locate exactly what I need.

Any advice?

Also, let me say I am very frustrated with the Volvo owners manual. It said H7 lights. I went and bought H7's only to find out after pulling everything apart that I had H11's. So I still need to go back and return my new bulbs and get the proper ones that are actually on the car. Lol.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Really? Mine says H11. My harness did the same thing. I fixed mine with heat-shrink insulation.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Yeah a common error on the part of Volvo, it seems. The best way to confirm is to look on the headlight lens - you'll notice that H11 is stamped near the bottom edge of the lens in the area of the low beam. Good idea!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
There is absolutely no reason you can't use a 2-wire connector and connect the grounds together - Just use a high-quality butt connector (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/3M-Heat-Shrink-Connector-Piece/dp/B008HMHJDO), put the new wire on one end and both old wires in the other end.

Alternately, you can disassemble the connector and apply heat shrink over the wires as suggested before. I would recommend using several layers as these wires get very hot, heat shrink exposed to heat will continue to shrink until it tears itself. It would be better to use short pieces of silicone vacuum line instead.

BTW you don't really need to park the car over this - worst case it blows a headlight fuse and you get the BOW indication.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Frustratingly, the owner's manual is frequently wrong on bulbs. I've found many instances where the owner's manual shows different than VIDA for the same car. Then you'll look at the car and the bulb actually in there is different than what both say.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is absolutely no reason you can't use a 2-wire connector and connect the grounds together - Just use a high-quality butt connector (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/3M-Heat-Shrink-Connector-Piece/dp/B008HMHJDO), put the new wire on one end and both old wires in the other end.

Alternately, you can disassemble the connector and apply heat shrink over the wires as suggested before. I would recommend using several layers as these wires get very hot, heat shrink exposed to heat will continue to shrink until it tears itself. It would be better to use short pieces of silicone vacuum line instead.

BTW you don't really need to park the car over this - worst case it blows a headlight fuse and you get the BOW indication.
Thanks, I just can't believe Volvo doesn't have a direct replacement for this! I'm sure this isn't the first one to brittle and crack a parts.

Would some electrical tape be an acceptable temporary repair while I wait for a high quality replacement to arrive?

·
Registered
46 Posts
As a temporary fix until you get a connector that you are happy with, you could use Liquid Electrical Tape. It can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, Menard's, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts