SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy -

My family and I just completed a 1,300 mile round trip to go skiing and it handled like a champ. We got back a few days ago, and last night, when I started it up to go run an errand, a horrific exhaust smell filled the cabin and all around the car (my wife said she smelled it in the house). At that point I opted to take our XC60 to the store instead.

I started it up this morning and had the same issue - I peaked under the hood, but I don't see anything glaring (no leaks that I could see). I thought it might be a cracked hose or something since we just got back from the frigged cold (temps read -1F at one point).

Any ideas? Before our trip I had the power steering pump replaced (was making the whining noise for over a year), A/C regulator replaced (A/C wasn't kicking in), both front struts replaced, and 90k service (to the tune of $2k+)...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
It could be your steering column boot. There is an inner and outer boot to keep fumes out of the cabin, and they could have gotten moved when the PS pump was replaced, then bumped just right to produce a gap. Also, the front muffler could be rusted out, it seems to be the only part that rusts on the XC90. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts