SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean to repeat something if I've missed a previous post, but I have purchased an 07 XC90 3.2 V6 FWD and I love this car!! It is amazing, my first Volvo but will definitely not be my last! However, I've noticed when I am taking off from being stopped, it seems to rev a couple seconds then it catches and goes..it doesn't make any noises or clanks or smoke just seems to rev a bit before going. I don't think it does it in Reverse, only in Drive. I need my DTSC (?) serviced it is telling me also, could that have anything to do with it? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
A couple second is excessive.. I mean its a 4500 lb vehicle so it's not going to be as quick off the line but you shouldn't be waiting full seconds for it to start moving. I would probably start with new tranny fluid. But be careful with places that offer pressurized tranny flushes. Try to find a Volvo specific shop. The dtsc shouldn't have any effect on not moving.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think you just not used to the power of 3.2 Inline 6 (not V6). The engine is nothing to brag about but it gets the work done. If and that's a big IF you have some kind of lag/torque reduction then you should definitely have a check engine light. If you don't have any codes just drive it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I have an appointment with the Volvo service center. I think the lag has actually started getting better? It seems to be anyhow, my husband says it could be the "learning transmission"? He works all the time so he doesn't get to work on the cars, but he read something about how it learns how you drive to get the best gas mileage. I have a very soft foot. We drove on the interstate for a longer trip over the weekend and it drives like a dream at higher speeds..so smooth..an amazing upgrade from a 99 Expedition! haha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, you just need to push the pedal more! It weighs almost 5k, it's gonna need some gas to get started
Haha, my husband says the same thing..I'm working on it but I've also noticed an exhaust smell coming in the cabing when I'm driving...mostly during acceleration. I keep finding little things popping up and we've only had it for a week...But we bought it for such an awesome price I expected issues so I'm happy to work through them!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Have you guys checked it out well underneath with the plastic skid plate off to see if there's any oil leaks? The smell could be oil burning off or an exhaust leak.

Ive got the smaller 2.5 engine and it definitely can move if I hit the pedal.. But I'll end up spinning the tires before I go anywhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long might it take for oil to "burn off"? I was thinking it may be the cat converter after reading some other articles, but it does not smell like eggs, it just smells like exhaust, like if you have it running in the garage with the door closed..Would it be terribly difficult to look at the exhaust ourselves, or is that a definitely take it to the service center kind of thing?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If it has an oil leak it will just keep burning on the block or wherever until the leak is fixed. I don't know what's wrong with it so i can't really do more than just speculate. If it's an exhaust leak, I can fit under the truck so if your husband can fit under it he can look and see if anything is visible but if it needs welding and you don't have a welder you're gonna have to bring it somewhere. I always bring used cars I just purchased in for an oil change so I can look under it and check it out to see if there's anything visibly wrong that needs attention. My new used car ritual is usually an oil change and then the tire shop before I go home. I'm particular with tires so I just throw the old ones up on Craigslist if they're still good and sell for for 1 or 2 hundred bucks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took it to the valvoline shop on my way home with it, and had the oil changed and tires/fluids checked and they only noted that my skid plate is damaged and I may want to replace it. I also am weird about tires so I have new ones on there, even though it came with pretty near new ones anyhow. I was thinking they could've spilled a little oil while filling maybe, there are no leaks when it sits in the driveway. My Mr. said he thinks he may want to replace the whole exhaust, not that he sees anything awful, but it makes some rattles and just looks worn out underneath. He is concerned it may be a gasket that needs to be replaced, we have the carfax and we are only the 2nd owners, but the last year doesn't show very much maintenance etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts