SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to put a double DIN into the 07 VR but I want to keep my steering wheel controls and parking assist. The unit that I'd really like to use is the Kenwood DNN992:

http://www.kenwood.com/ca/car/excelon/dnn992/

It looks fantastic. I like the Garmin maps for the Nav but it requires iDatalink Maestro RR to connect all the features into the head unit which is unfortunate because Volvo isn't listed as a supported automaker on the iDatalink website:

http://maestro.idatalink.com/product/product/product_id/102

Has anyone else had luck hooking up the steering wheel controls and parking assist after upgrading the headunit?

What I want to do:
- Back-up camera
- Keep/ integrate parking assist sensors
- Keep the steering wheel controls
- Add an aftermarket subwoofer (maybe)

·
3,959 Posts
I have an Alpine s920hd + hce 157d, the cam is amazing an the unit looks oem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have a module that they used for the steering wheel controls? and Proximity sensors?

·
Registered
861 Posts
The best module I've found for the R is the CRUX SWRVL-54. You get steering wheel control, reverse trigger, vehicle speed sensor, and illumination trigger for dimming.

There's nothing out there that will allow you to keep factory nav or reverse sensors.

Aftermarket sub capability is almost certain on any aftermarket head unit.

Here was my shopping list:
Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS
CRUX SWRVL-54
Metra 40-VL10 Antenna adapter
MicroBypass In-Motion interface for AVH-X
Scosche VO4152B Install Kit
ARH-VOL Amplifier Retention Harness (necessary for R's with the HU-850)
Esky EC170-11 Camera

I mounted my camera onto the Trunk Key Plug (that black plug near the license plate light. I routed the wiring down with the lighting wire and power routed to the rear fuse block.

·
Registered
309 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Interesting. It essentially becomes a stand-alone system, utilizing the backup sensors. It won't mute your radio at all, but you'll at least get an audible tone for backing up.
Actually..(on that website)

Reverse gear radio mute relay
Overview:
Special relay to mute audio when reversing to allow parking tones to be heard clearly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is fantastic! I bought the Kenwood DNN992 this afternoon so I'm going to start gathering parts together for the fully integrated install including SiriusXM, rear view camera, proximity sensors and get the wiring ran for a future subwoofer. A few questions though:

1. Where is a good place to mount the mic?
2. Do I need the amplifier harness from incartec? I don't have the factory subwoofer but have a feeling that I have the one under the front seat (that everyone talks about).
3. What's the best route for running my RCA subwoofer wires and camera wires?

·
Registered
861 Posts
1. I have mine mounted on the A Pillar cover.
2. You'll need the ARH-VOL Amplifier Retention Harness to use your factory amp for your regular speakers
3. You'll need an amp for a sub.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
1. I have mine mounted on the A Pillar cover.
2. You'll need the ARH-VOL Amplifier Retention Harness to use your factory amp for your regular speakers
3. You'll need an amp for a sub.
1. Did you mount it near the top, middle, or bottom of the A-pillar.
2. How about the 20-278 from http://incartec.co.uk/volvo/2265/1036/2070/radio/Browser.aspx - would that accomplish the same task as the ARH-VOL?
2.1 - Do I NEED the Retention harness to retain my speakers? (the Amp that is in my Kenwood (4x50) - is equal to what the amp is under my seat).
3. I have everything I need for a subwoofer install from my previous vehicles (minus the box that I'll need to custom build)
3.1 -Regarding running the wiring - same question - whats the best route for running my RCA subwoofer wires and camera wires? what's the most common route? passengers side under the carpet? drivers side under the carpet? up the drivers a-pillar and under the headliner? Up the passengers a-pillar, under the headliner?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm also running a satelite radio for the car too. I've always ran my antenna out the passengers door. Gross. I want this one to be clean and hidden since it's going to have the tuner tied into the head unit. Should I run it all the way back with the rest of the wiring and sneak it out the trunk lid or is there a nice place elsewhere?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I purchased all the incartec goodies and started wiring this weekend. My harness looks like a rats nest and looks like it wouldn't fit behind the head unit. Turns out I was right, it doesn't fit with the add on amp module and steering wheel controls.

Is there a preference to where to do the hiding? And by preference, I mean a good location?

I'm going to do some wire extending and hopefully tuck the boxes away from the back to gain the room I need but if I have any direction on where to do the tucking, I'll rewire the harness with that in mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts