SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've determined my freewheeling (decoupler) alternator pulley is making the hellish noise, and I've ordered a replacement pulley and a 33-spline tool that fits the pulley. But I need to find an M10 spline bit that fits the alternator shaft that is also the right length to enable removal of the pulley without removing the alternator from the car. An example of the latter tool is in the British kit Sealey SX400, that's (1) not too long and (2) has a hex on the end to apply sufficient torque from a wrench/spanner. See: https://youtu.be/qJee0aSERoo at 3:08.

Can anyone who's done this repair advise of an equal to that M10 x 12mm hex tool but available stateside?

Edited to add: I found a UK retailer (Tool Academy Ltd.) that will sell and ship the kit to the USA for a decent price.

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
Just remove the alt from the car it's not very involved

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Definitely the way to go. Replace the serpentine belt and tensioner while you're at it. I got an alternator from ErieVolvo for about $90. Off an 09 S60 with 60k miles on it. Lifetime warranty, too.

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
True? I watched a video on what I would call an involved procedure requiring removal of parts between the engine and radiator core in order to pass the alternator over towards the driver's side to get it up and out. I'd be glad to hear about the alternative procedure, but if it can be done without removal with the right tool, that's great.

My belt and tensioner were recently installed. I think. I'll dig through my records to be sure.

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
True? I watched a video on what I would call an involved procedure requiring removal of parts between the engine and radiator core in order to pass the alternator over towards the driver's side to get it up and out. I'd be glad to hear about the alternative procedure, but if it can be done without removal with the right tool, that's great.

My belt and tensioner were recently installed. I think. I'll dig through my records to be sure.
That's not necessary.

Disconnect battery. Remove serp belt. Unbolt PS pump and lift out of the way. Unbolt alt top and bottom. Loosen AC bottom bolts. Disconnect alt signal wire and main power lug. Wiggle and turn the alt to get it out it will come out it's just tight. Done it many times. Replace the pcv banjo bolt with updated check valve style if your car is turbo during this project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts