SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there, I'm currently running out of tread on the all seasons on my wife's 2007 XC90 3.2AWD, can't complain these Kumhos have been reliable and handled pretty well for about 60k of city/highway family truckstering.

Anyone have any good recommendations for a moderately aggressive all season with good snow traction, great wet traction, and moderate to long tread life?

update:
oh yeah it has stock 17" wheels.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you were north of Baltimore I'd say Nokian WR G2-SUVs, but south of NYC you'd probably be better suited with something more summer oriented on the all-season spectrum. It'll be interesting to see what folks say, but I would steer clear of the Bridgestone Deulers. That's what came on our car and they are just completely average in every way, inoffensive, but not particularly good at anything.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually run those Nokians on my C30.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus - very good snow traction for a all-season and they are also warrantied for 60k miles. I very much like them .
Good to hear, I've been leaning toward these based on what I've been reading and such.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I did use michelin and now i have conti crosscontact, amazing tires and good price. I have 235/65/17

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its great. Love it. Bought it in September 09, its a 2010 now have 55k on it. Fun to drive when it was bone stock more fun when modded. The C30 forum here is sparse but Check out C30Ballers.org or C30World.com for lots of info and good people.

tapa tapa tapa

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have a 05 XC90 2.5T AWD and just upgraded to the Bridgestone Duellers H/L Alenza. I upgraded to 255/60/17. Great snow traction (second set but set before was 235/65/17). I really like the wider stance.

Good luck.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a 05 XC90 2.5T AWD and just upgraded to the Bridgestone Duellers H/L Alenza. I upgraded to 255/60/17. Great snow traction (second set but set before was 235/65/17). I really like the wider stance.

Good luck.
Have to seriously disagree with bigtom on this one. We have the stock 17" size of the same tire and it was pretty pathetic compared to Nokian WRs the one time we drove it in winter conditions shortly after we bought the vehicle. Living in Minnesota I can't imagine that bigtom doesn't know something about winter driving, but I also can't imagine anyone who'd experienced Nokians giving this tire any winter cred at all. It was OK for an all season tire, but poor when compared to any true winter tire or the very best winter-oriented all season tires.

Thanks for the reference for C30 info.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have used Nokian, they are great, though can be difficult to find locally in xc90 in Baltimore
I have used Gislavids, my favorite tire for winter.
I used goodyear fortera tripletreds (new name this year??) in baltimore for about 5 years, they do well in the snow + occasional dusting. and also did well on my travels to Canada

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
I have used Nokian, they are great, though can be difficult to find locally in xc90 in Baltimore
can't you order from Tire Rack and have them delivered to any shop you want?

·
Registered
524 Posts
I am not discrediting the Nokians at all. I had a set on our Honda Odyssey. Good winter tires and ok for all season. I am just saying that the last set of Duellers were good in the snow. I didn't get stuck once in any snowfall.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input folks, any other thoughts?

Oh and Tire Rack doesn't sell Nokian, I oredered the ones on my C30, they have been very good in most conditions. Oh and I'm not looking solely for snow since B'more isn't a snow mecca (save for a couple weeks a few winters ago).

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Thanks for the input folks, any other thoughts?

Oh and Tire Rack doesn't sell Nokian, I oredered the ones on my C30, they have been very good in most conditions. Oh and I'm not looking solely for snow since B'more isn't a snow mecca (save for a couple weeks a few winters ago).
right, tireconnect, or something like that

I am about to order 4 more (for my xc90)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had Yokohama Avid Envigors installed on my 06 XC90 recently. I'm in S. Fl. so don't know much about snow traction. We have a home service where the truck with all the mounting and balancing equipment comes to your place and in about an hour replaces your four tires for about the cost of buying your tires at Tire Rack. I've had great luck with Yokohama as well as Michelins.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i just put on pirelli verde's and i absolutely love them! the ride is so quiet and gas mileage is supposedly to improve, although it's only been a couple of tanks since.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus - very good snow traction for a all-season and they are also warrantied for 60k miles. I very much like them .
I've had these on our 08 xc90 sport for about a year now and they're fantastic. We didn't have any snow here last year, but in all other conditions fantastic. I'm sure they'll be fine in the snow this year.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Looking at the Continental LX20 Eco plus (H speed rated) tires as well as the Pirelli scorpion Verde (V speed rated) tires in a 255 x 55 x 18 size. Just wanted to get some more opinions on ride comfort, noise, cornering stability, tread wear and snow traction.

I currently have Nokian WR which are one of the greatest all season tires in the snow, however they are almost gone with about 25K miles. I know they have a new generation WR G2 that I am looking into, but wanted to get some other XC90 owners opinions.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 70 Posts