SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up an 07 T5 AWD S40 with a broken timing belt. I had the head rebuilt and I just recently finished putting it all back together. Car runs fantastic. Where I could use a little advice is that the car makes a humming noise from the front end - the best way to explain the sound is like it has snow tires mounted on it. Having no experience with how the car sounded before I bought it, I'm not sure if this is how the AWD cars sound as a rule or if it's something else.

- Would a bad wheel bearing make this noise? How about an axle going south (although the axles looked good when I was in there replacing stuff). The tires literally have zero miles on them (the timing belt snapped at the tire shop - according to the previous owner. Could it just be noisy tires (they are Goodyear Eagle GT All seasons). Anything else?

It's not an engine noise as the humming is constant - doesn't increase with rpm's, it changes based on speed of the car.

I built the car for my daughter's first car and I want to be sure to replace anything that needs replacing - the last thing I want is for her to be broken down somewhere. Any help guys I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Steve.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I was thinking old wheel bearing as well, trans bearing, rusty brakes, axle/cv joints.

I've had a low humming noise just like that for a few years now. It's not terribly a problem if it's the wheel bearing. My axles have been changed recently so I know it's not that. I'm guessing on mine it's a wheel bearing somewhere. Which one? I have no idea... but it's pretty common. The problem sometime with Volvo shops is that they want to replace the whole hub. It's frustrating...

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Wheel bearing is easily detected by driving through a "sweeper" type turn or maneuver. If the noise gets louder one direction & softer the other you have a wheel bearing out. The bad bearing is the one that makes more noise when loaded. Ie. - Noise gets louder when turning left & goes away when turning right you have a bad right side bearing. You should be able to distinguish between front & rear without too much trouble.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pczeilon - thanks! I did exactly what you suggested and sure enough the noise did get louder when turning left and quieter when turning right. Looks like a new hub assembly needs to be ordered. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts