SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Registered
I saw there has stick for replace timing belt? 50+k miles? I was replace mine on 200 k...

In general, it is great looking car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered

Registered
Maybe he sold it to himself to create hype and prop up the value of the R. LOL

Registered
Maybe he sold it to himself to create hype and prop up the value of the R. LOL
Wouldn鈥檛 that be something. It sets the bar a little higher for comps and insurance claims for the rest of us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Wouldn鈥檛 that be something. It sets the bar a little higher for comps and insurance claims for the rest of us

Exactly. Great news for all us VR owners, even those that own disgusting, boring 04-05 silver/gobi AW55's! :D

Registered
Now we all think our caR鈥檚 are worth a bit more . Selling to yourself would be something but would it be worth the BAT fees?

Registered
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the 04 manuals being 15 years old now, isn't this about the time that people start scooping these up as collectors items?

I mean short of audi TT(RS) and Focus RS I don't know any other cars using 5cyl turbo, let alone in a sedan/wagon format.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the 04 manuals being 15 years old now, isn't this about the time that people start scooping these up as collectors items?

I mean short of audi TT(RS) and Focus RS I don't know any other cars using 5cyl turbo, let alone in a sedan/wagon format.
I was actut going for a TTRS, but the market was almost $15k more than the Z4 35is market.

Would love to have another T5 in my garage in the future, definitely going for the MK3 TTRS as well.

Sent from my HTC U12+ using Tapatalk

Registered
Jeez, I just bought my 2007 VR 6-speed Grey with Atacama interior (nearly flawless), 130k miles with t-belt, turbo, and other goodies replaced recently for $9,500. Either I got a good deal, or whoever bought this car is a loon..

Registered

There have been a bunch:
Audi Quattro
Audi 200
Audi S4/S6
Audi RS2
Mercedes W123 diesel
Pretty much all Volvo 850/S70/V70
Volvo S40/V50

These cars are not collector's items- they made far too many of them and there isn't demand for them.

Registered
06 Vr 6sp, 98 T5V 5sp
I'd have to dissagre on the "made far too many of them" statement.

They imported a few thousand over the 4 year production run. Compare that to the e46 M cars and it makes the M cars look like Camry numbers.

Registered
I'd have to dissagre on the "made far too many of them" statement.

They imported a few thousand over the 4 year production run. Compare that to the e46 M cars and it makes the M cars look like Camry numbers.
You're right- pretty low production numbers. Here's some context:

E36/8 M Coupe- 2858 made (north america), '99-02, 678 with S54 engine- that's rare.
E46 M3- 43779 made (north america), '01-06, not rare, but there is a high demand for them, which makes them collectible with low mileage, especially certain options and colors.
997.2 GT3 incl. RS- 1485 made (north america), '09-12. That's pretty rare, high demand, very collectible.
V70R- 3407 made (US only), pretty rare, but not much demand, not very collectible. That may change, but they're not collectible right now.

Registered

Audi 5000/200 did it in both 10 valve and 20 valve turbo form. Also the RS2 (90 wagon with 20VT five and a K24-7200, which is really a K26 in all but name) which has the distinction of being specifically called out as not legal to import to the US for some reason. My Quantum is a similar chassis to the RS2 (RS2 is B3, Quantum is B2) but with a much better rear suspension if you like handling, and the engine is a very much modified 5000 Turbo engine, which had the same block, head, and crank as a stock Quantum engine...

Also, practically every whiteblock Volvo chassis ever.

I am probably going to buy an RS3 when they depreciate to sub-$30k. Lots more power and they have DSG with launch control that is worth a crap. It's a TTRS in a Jetta body.

Registered
You're right- pretty low production numbers. Here's some context:

E36/8 M Coupe- 2858 made (north america), '99-02, 678 with S54 engine- that's rare.
E46 M3- 43779 made (north america), '01-06, not rare, but there is a high demand for them, which makes them collectible with low mileage, especially certain options and colors.
997.2 GT3 incl. RS- 1485 made (north america), '09-12. That's pretty rare, high demand, very collectible.
V70R- 3407 made (US only), pretty rare, but not much demand, not very collectible. That may change, but they're not collectible right now.
Before I bought my S60R, I had been shopping E46 M3s. About nine out of ten were convertibles. The non-convertibles were 50-80% more expensive. When I bought my S60R, V70Rs were very much desirable, going for roughly double what a sedan was going for. Fortunately for me, I already own a turbo five cylinder AWD wagon, and a V70R will not fit in my garage but an S60R will.

I still want, emotionally, an E46 M3, but for the headaches, it would probably be cheaper to buy a Focus RS now that they are dropping into the $25-30k range, which seems like the time to buy since once they get any lower than that the tunerbros will start buying them and hacking them up. But, eyes on the prize: off-lease RS3...

Registered
Before I bought my S60R, I had been shopping E46 M3s. About nine out of ten were convertibles. The non-convertibles were 50-80% more expensive. When I bought my S60R, V70Rs were very much desirable, going for roughly double what a sedan was going for. Fortunately for me, I already own a turbo five cylinder AWD wagon, and a V70R will not fit in my garage but an S60R will.

I still want, emotionally, an E46 M3, but for the headaches, it would probably be cheaper to buy a Focus RS now that they are dropping into the $25-30k range, which seems like the time to buy since once they get any lower than that the tunerbros will start buying them and hacking them up. But, eyes on the prize: off-lease RS3...
I think that's because the M3 is like 911s- the coupes are worth more than convertibles because people take the coupes to the track.

The Focus RS has a problem with blowing up head gaskets or has that been fixed? Also, the rear diff overheats and there's no way to fix it due to the way the temperature is determined (the computer guesses, there is no thermocouple in the diff).

The RS3 is nice, but they're $50k and depreciating. I'd get a 996 turbo and put some GT3 suspension parts on it before I got an RS3.

Registered
As an interesting side note, it looks like the value of the R's is generally pretty good globally.
I bought mine ex Japan (we are also RHD so thats a plus in my book) and still keep an eye on their auction histories to see what they are selling for over there, on average there is 3 -6 VR's listed a week (no idea on SR's sorry).

There are several countries who buy out of Japan, notably New Zealand, Russia and several African countries, and it is sometimes the Russians who are the biggest buyers.
All R's in Japan are Auto, I've never seen an M66 ever in the 3+ years I've been watching, and higher mileage of 140k Kms (80k miles) and above seriously drops the price to under 200k yen.

Last month there was a Sonic Blue 06 VR with 16,000 km (10k miles) sold for 1.4 million yen or about $US 16k, so low miles and late model still carries a decent price premium, a similar year car with 100k miles would have been lucky to reach a quarter of that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts