SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I need one more car for family. So we're looking for a nice 07 S60R auto. As you know I have a manual 04 so I'm familiar with R's.

What I'm looking for here is what's particular to the 07 auto R's. What are the issues I should check for when buying an 07 auto?

Cheers

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Valve bodies fro the transaxle tend to fail and make sure the angle gear is in good condition because they are rather hard to find for that year/transaxle combination. OTE pipes tend to crack at the front mount where they bolt to the intake manifold. Make sure it isn't cracked and if you buy remove the front mount bolt.

Also the head unit make sure it lights up and actually works. The 05+ head units took a dive in quality imho. Otherwise its the same car.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have aluminum OTE from my car as spare if needed.

I thought the valve body problem was for 06 auto and was fixed on 07. Can someone confirm?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Valve bodies fro the transaxle tend to fail and make sure the angle gear is in good condition because they are rather hard to find for that /year/transaxle combination.
On the other hand, you aren't fighting every XC70 owner for angle gears, either. There's few out there but the market is also small.

My valve body is the original at 220k and it's okay. Very occasionally, like once every three months, I'll accelerate firmly, and lift off the throttle right when the trans is about to upshift, and it feels like whatever controls line pressure gets stuck. Shifts happen extremely harsh unless you shift to Neutral for a bit. Sometimes you have to cycle the key. But that's very rare, other than that it's still awesome.

OTE pipes tend to crack at the front mount where they bolt to the intake manifold. Make sure it isn't cracked and if you buy remove the front mount bolt.
Especially if you twist it apart by using an air tool on the bolt. Oops.

RapidFix to the rescue.

Passes a smoke test even after a few WOT pulls. I dunno what the turbo is supposed to do but mine is making 18psi pre throttle body.

Also the head unit make sure it lights up and actually works. The 05+ head units took a dive in quality imho. Otherwise its the same car.
....my car has an aftermarket head unit already. Aftermarket head unit and a decent amp, the stock speakers are incredible at least. When I first got the car, I brought along my MP3 CDs that I hadn't been able to listen to for years (had a string of MP3-incompatible cars...) and one of them was a Black Sabbath compilation, so of course I had to go straight to the Paranoid album. When Fairies Wear Boots started playing, the staging made the hairs on my neck stand up. Freakin' incredible job, Volvo engineers.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'll probably switch to aftermarket so my family can use Google Auto, BT, HD Radio (lots of good stations around Seattle), etc. That is also the plan for my car as I got tired of the Grom unreliably working. I'll first do it in my car to learn the in and outs and then on their car. I know they are a little different but I'll rely on this forum for guidance. I saw a write up for an 06.

Are the 07 radio/audio/tims different from 06?

Does changing valve body require dropping the transmission?

What does 2007.5 mean?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
There was a midyear 'refresh' of the 07 cars where they got steel LCAs and some other tiny tweaks.

05-07 all identical for the audio stuff.

Transaxle stays in the car but the subframe gets dropped a bit IIRC for a valvebody.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know how to look if a car has the refresh? Production date? Some particular feature/part number?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm looking to buy a used/rebuilt car so the arms may have been replaced. Is there any other indication of a "refreshed" car? I imagine Volvo has to have a chassis number threshold for this refresh. Anyone knows what that is?

Any other indicator?

Also why have the LCA been switched to steel? Is that a tech reason or just Volvo cutting costs? Is there a reason enough to change them to aluminum?

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
My car was built third week in March. It’s got the steel lcas and aux port, latest valve body build, etc. I would imagine anywhere between say November and the end of the run, is when the 07.5 was built.
I'm looking to buy a used/rebuilt car so the arms may have been replaced. Is there any other indication of a "refreshed" car? I imagine Volvo has to have a chassis number threshold for this refresh. Anyone knows what that is?

Any other indicator?

Also why have the LCA been switched to steel? Is that a tech reason or just Volvo cutting costs? Is there a reason enough to change them to aluminum?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What is the chassis number on your car?
I assume it's March 2006, right?
Where is the aux port located?

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
No- march 07. Mine is in the console under the armrest. I keep an old iPhone in there, stocked with music.i don’t have the number with me right this second.
What is the chassis number on your car?
I assume it's March 2006, right?
Where is the aux port located?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you send it to me when you have time? I need it later this week. Thanks

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Steel LCA's were definitely introduced mid cycle for 2007 as mine was built with aluminum LCA's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts