SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so here's a backstory of sorts: I was driving in my neighborhood (about 50-60mph, ik I have a lead foot) and ran over a soccer ball. Everything seemed to be fine then (no leaks, warning lights, temp normal). After driving around the town a bit, I come home and park my car, only to be greeted with billowing smoke coming from under the hood. I open it up and see that my coolant reservoir was emptied. I check under my car and there was a massive pool of coolant dripping on the ground (towards the center, driver's side). I couldn't exactly pinpoint where the leak was coming from, but I assumed that It must've been some sort of hose or something. After a little while after, an emergency came up and I had to go somewhere, so I topped off my coolant and headed out. Only about 5 minutes down the road, I was greeted by the oil light and Immediately pulled over into a gas station. I checked my dipstick and it was bone dry (other than a bit of oil on the tip, below the marks). While waiting for a tow truck, I saw that there was a massive oil spot right where the coolant was leaking onto. I don't have easy access to a jack or jack stands, so I can't really check for myself, but I would really like to know what it could be. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Did you have your skid plate on? If not there’s plenty of lines that could have been pinched but o can’t imagine a soccer ball causing so much damage. Gonna have to get under it to see what’s going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you have your skid plate on? If not there’s plenty of lines that could have been pinched but o can’t imagine a soccer ball causing so much damage. Gonna have to get under it to see what’s going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I had my skidplate on.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Yeah, I had my skidplate on.
sounds like your oil cooler to me given how they both show up at the same spot, and it's lowest on the oil pan.a only other place that happens is the turbo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm buying a jack and some nice jackstands today after I get my paycheck. If it does happen to be the oil cooler, can someone link me to a How To guide or something? Also, how many oil coolers does the s40 have?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts