SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tires are now a set of four 205/55/R16 Hankooks.
Since one of the rear tires got a bubble, I have to change the rear pair and I was thinking of getting 205/60/R16 or maybe 215/55/R16 of exactly same Hankook model, would give a slightly better look (at least in my eyes) and a softer ride for the rear passengers (hence the larger sidewall).

A warning I've read however is that the ABS system may be a issue if it's too sensitive, because of the difference of diameter of tires.

So does anyone have experience with similar situations ? Is the ABS system going to give me a dashboard message that I'm the dumbest driver it ever met or is it going to be just fine ?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
ABS itself may be not an issue, but if you have DSTC it may not be happy. My module sometimes go haywire when one of wheels is underpressured, I always thought its pretty sensitive but I havent heard such stories from others so maybe mine is just a bit too much.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt your module is more sensitive than others, so that's a. How exactly does it act when DSTC comes into play (do I get a light or notification on the dashboard)? It always says DTSC on, but I've never driven in such conditions to have it "assist me" ... heck I don't even know if it works only in emergency situations (similar to ABS) or it's always doing something in the background. I don't even know what to expect from it :|

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Does the non-AWD 2.4i even have full DSTC?

But I'll just jump in and say don't do this, the tires will behave differently front to rear, especially because the larger ones will be "pinched" onto their rims. You're just asking for trouble. MHO.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
You don't have to change the pair if you are strapped for cash.

Subaru with it's hard differential all-the time AWD says you can have up to 1/8" difference in rolling diameter to be "within spec" and not need a new set of all 4". Given that our rears arent' even on until the AWD kicks on and even then it's only their individual speed sensors returning data - I don't imagine much of a difference in rolling diameter between a new and used tire would do much. I have personally run new's on the fronts and almost deads on the back and never had an issue between the two, no errors, codes, or anything else.

my suggestion-don't do what I do unless you're willing to accept the risk, instead do the following:

Buy another tire and find a place (either the place you bought it from or somewhere else) willing to shave it down to the same size as your rear good one. save the money, then do the upgrade on all 4 at once.

That being said - here's a tire calculator that can give you similar sizes to the ones you want so you can go for the look you want while avoiding issues like TMTALPEY mentioned above to the best of your ability:
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure about the DTSC on FWD models, mine just says DTSC ON and it looks like I have no way to turn it off.

Buying only one tire is impossible in my parts (not USA, not even close), because everyone sells tires only in pairs. All the tires are from mid 2018, so there's around two years until I'd need to replace all of them.

Not looking for trouble, just thought it could be a nice "modification", but turns out there's a lot of stuff I had to take into consideration.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
DSTC is supposed to act in emergency situation like oversteer for example. If it detects car is skdding or something is "not right" it will block some of the wheels to try to put you back into straight. Depending on your abilities you can test yourself, try to make a low speed handbrake turn - in my case with DSCT active I will always feel car trying to "correct me". But as tmtalpey said, not sure if your DSTC is the same as AWD models.
Regardless - I personally would steer away from mix&match different sizes of tyres, but in FWD case it may not affect you that much. 205/60 would probably look odd, like muscle-car raised back, 215/55 on paper doesnt seem that different though. If you replace pair, difference might be not noticeable so you can try. I think its better option anyway than putting different pattern tyre on the same axle (if you find used one for example).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts