SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, been away from the forum for awhile... i have a clunking sound coming from the tranny ( after car is warm) when letting off of the gas ( not during excessive acceleration) and re applying, just like anytime between under 100 km . Wondering if it's a sticking solenoid or something. The Car has 109km on the OD and the tranny oil is original. Dealer recommends not changing the oil other garages say yes......age old discussion of course and possibly a ho-hum for many of you here but your thoughts would be appreciated.

tks,

M

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bad CV/U-joints resulting in binding when you let off and step on the gas? Combined with worn engine/trans mounts could result in too much play in the drivetrain, perhaps.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Most likely mounts. CV joints will not do that. Driving in a straight line slowly and not hearing clicking is a indicator. Also when you go slow, and turn the steering wheel completely to one side you definately would hear clicking and binding noise. And they simply do not go bad if your boots are not torn and spewing grease.If they are torn, and ya hear noise when driving in a straight line,you are about to have a failure at one of the cv joints.Normally you would know before hearing noise when driving in a straight line.If you have a oil leak,the lower mounts will degrade and cause this problem.If no oil leak is present,the upper torque mount would be my next suspect.

Robert the Volvo guy on youtube explains this in decent detail.He has a lot of informative info for guys that need help.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Take a good look at the transmission and upper engine mounts. If original, probably shot. Easy to replace and not expensive. At 8+ years old, time to replace. Do multiple drain/fills using Mobil 3309 fluid spaced a few 1000 km apart. Order a case of 12 quarts from Amazon for about $70. Drain/fill is as easy as an oil change. Refill only through the dip stick tube. Each drain is about 3.5 quarts. Check on dip stick for proper level at temperature.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot for your replies, very helpful and insightful. I will report back once I get her done. Last question, where is the dip-stick for the tranny located? Dealer of course said it was hard to verify the levels.......

·
Registered
853 Posts
Pull off the air intake tube going from the rad support to the air filter box and look down.You will see the YELLOW dipstick down there.And as Bugeye said,only fill there.You need a long and skinny tipped funnel to get into it without making a mess.They do sell these funnels on IPD and FCP.
It is hard to determine the levels on the stick.Every time you stick it,it seems like you are getting a different reading.Always look for the lowest mark on the stick.It is important to let it sit for an hour or so to get a better look.the easy way is to measure what you drained out and simply add that much back in.

As an alternative,you can do a flush which is what I recommend.It is easy to do as long as you have the right stuff to do it.I posted the method on VS maybe about 8yrs ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts