SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who’ve had transmission issues with the V8 trans, have you tried changing the fluid? I ask because I changed mine right after I bought it (98,000miles) because it felt kind of funny occasionally when it shifted, but that was only after about 1 month of ownership so I had no base line per say. It shifts fine now. I know that some of the 05's had a valve body issue but I have never heard about 06's and up having issues. I wonder if a simple fluid swap would do the trick as it has for me.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I changed the fluid in my 06 V8 and the shifting got worse. I did it with around 96k on it. I am getting a rebuilt volvo tranny put in Wed. Also doing the rear main seal and upgrading to IPD anti sway bars whiles it's apart. Sucks. I bought this beast because they are supposed to be reliable.

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
534 Posts
I replaced tranny fluid (with flush) at 50k. "Lifetime fluid" is dubious given that everything oxidizes. Our 2-3 flare and rough shifting began before tranny flush and has become progressively worse in recent months. Adjuster coming out tomorrow to hopefully OK replacement of valve body under warranty, although I noticed that for some folks this did not cut it and whole tranny had to be R&R.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced tranny fluid (with flush) at 50k. "Lifetime fluid" is dubious given that everything oxidizes. Our 2-3 flare and rough shifting began before tranny flush and has become progressively worse in recent months. Adjuster coming out tomorrow to hopefully OK replacement of valve body under warranty, although I noticed that for some folks this did not cut it and whole tranny had to be R&R.
What year is your XC90?

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
534 Posts
2005 v8 awd

·
Registered
77 Posts
got my volvo rebuilt tranny in last friday. Put over 250mi on it this weekend. I didn't realize how bad off my tranny was until I got the new one in. I also got the IPD anti sway bars installed in the process. I have always told my Volvo mechanic that my XC90 handled like a garbage truck............until now. I am very satisfied with the overall feel of my car now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
got my volvo rebuilt tranny in last friday. Put over 250mi on it this weekend. I didn't realize how bad off my tranny was until I got the new one in. I also got the IPD anti sway bars installed in the process. I have always told my Volvo mechanic that my XC90 handled like a garbage truck............until now. I am very satisfied with the overall feel of my car now.
How much was the trans rebuild,R+R?
Did you do the front/rear antisway bars? Or just the front?

·
Registered
77 Posts
i got lucky and got the tranny for the indy's shop price. $3200. labor and supplies $900. Both front and rear sway bars. I got the front sway bar on with the tranny replacement then added the rear 3 days later. The front was good and adding the rear was better.

·
Registered
327 Posts
So far (touch wood) no issues with my XC90 V8 Trans - I change the Trans liquid every 7,000 Miles or 12,000 Miles since its relatively inexpensive to do so. Also I've added the original volvo Transmission cooler bypassing the radiator to avoid any chance of water leakage from radiator to the trans,

Just make sure you have Vida reset the Transmission Oil change counter or someone to do so for you everytime you change the ATF Oils.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i got lucky and got the tranny for the indy's shop price. $3200. labor and supplies $900. Both front and rear sway bars. I got the front sway bar on with the tranny replacement then added the rear 3 days later. The front was good and adding the rear was better.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have a friend that just had his V8 tranny completely quit on the freeway at 132,000 miles. He was at Jiffy Lube the day before...I wonder if they topped off the tranny fluid with something that messed it up. Anyway, if someone has a suggestion in Salt Lake City for an independant that can do the job, I'll pass it along. The dealer wants just over $7000 for the job, that plus the 8k they owe, it wouldn't quite be worth it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a friend that just had his V8 tranny completely quit on the freeway at 132,000 miles. He was at Jiffy Lube the day before...I wonder if they topped off the tranny fluid with something that messed it up. Anyway, if someone has a suggestion in Salt Lake City for an independant that can do the job, I'll pass it along. The dealer wants just over $7000 for the job, that plus the 8k they owe, it wouldn't quite be worth it.
Not sure about an indy shop up in SLC but down in Orem there is Roys Volvo.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow I guess I should hop on this board more often. Haven't been around since I sold my R and bought the xc. So the 05's have had valve body issues? I've been meaning to take mine in. I'm having weird 1-2, 2-3 up shifts ( feels like slipping, I don't know though this is my first auto I've ever owned) and while cruising on the hwy on grades I'll watch my tach bounce 100 rpms. I had the whole system flushed at the dealer shortly after I bought it (76k mi) and had the software updated.

Since I'm on my phone I can't do quotes but I'm curious to know about the trans cooler. I thought the v8's had one, if not I need to get one. Towing is the WHOLE reason why I went with the xc90 v8. At this point with my transmission issues and now I'm getting the dreaded front end clunk which really makes me angry. I thought this car was going to be better than my R. ( face palm muttering "should've bought the Honda" )

Is there a TSB out on the 05 valve bodies? Has anyone talked to VCNA about this? I have a warranty but it doesn't hurt to ask these questions.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Wow I guess I should hop on this board more often. Haven't been around since I sold my R and bought the xc. So the 05's have had valve body issues? I've been meaning to take mine in. I'm having weird 1-2, 2-3 up shifts ( feels like slipping, I don't know though this is my first auto I've ever owned) and while cruising on the hwy on grades I'll watch my tach bounce 100 rpms. I had the whole system flushed at the dealer shortly after I bought it (76k mi) and had the software updated.

Since I'm on my phone I can't do quotes but I'm curious to know about the trans cooler. I thought the v8's had one, if not I need to get one. Towing is the WHOLE reason why I went with the xc90 v8. At this point with my transmission issues and now I'm getting the dreaded front end clunk which really makes me angry. I thought this car was going to be better than my R. ( face palm muttering "should've bought the Honda" )

Is there a TSB out on the 05 valve bodies? Has anyone talked to VCNA about this? I have a warranty but it doesn't hurt to ask these questions.
My shifts are still nice and firm, never slipped but the tach does bounce 100rpm or so at part throttle on the highway. It does it in 5th and 6th gears, goes away when I move the stick to manual shifting mode.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oh I must also note that I am running a flash from RICA. However there is not a difference when I swap between stock and tuned. After a fresh reflash it usually takes about two days +\- for it to do it again. Just called my local indy, it goes in tuesday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts