SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a intermittent problem with the automatic transmission in my v70. It occasionally shifts poorly going from second gear to third, third to fourth, and very rarely it will rev like it is in neutral during downshift/heavy acceleration. Now it does all these things but only one at a time.

All of these symptoms make it sound like the valve body is going bad:facepalm:. Has this become a common problem with the 6-spd autos? When researching it seems more of the problems have been coming out of the 5-spd units in the 04-05.

Around what should I expect to pay to get the valve body fixed?

Thanks, Eliot

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
My dad got an S60R with the six speed auto. He has the same issues. I think there's a TNN for it? There's software and a valve adjustment(?) that should correct it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am having a intermittent problem with the automatic transmission in my v70. It occasionally shifts poorly going from second gear to third, third to fourth, and very rarely it will rev like it is in neutral during downshift/heavy acceleration. Now it does all these things but only one at a time.

All of these symptoms make it sound like the valve body is going bad:facepalm:. Has this become a common problem with the 6-spd autos? When researching it seems more of the problems have been coming out of the 5-spd units in the 04-05.

Around what should I expect to pay to get the valve body fixed?

Thanks, Eliot
I'm living with the same issue on my 07 VR with 140k miles. I did flush the tranny and it helped, but it still suffers from 2nd to 3rd shift smoothness, part throttle lack of engagement of 3rd and rough up and down shifts going up to and down to 3rd. Valve bodies are not cheap, both the part and the labor to install it, given I believe it involves a full tranny drop.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Reamman.com valve body fixes most of these ills. Sometimes the issues will wear out the friction linings and it will need an overhaul also. The trans will need the VB even if it gets overhauled.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Yeah my 06 has these problems as well. It's so bad the check engine light will come on, but then it goes off. Hard to replicate and it happens mostly when I go on the freeway for extended periods of time. Really really frustrating. A temporary fix is to just disconnect the battery for 10min. and the car will readjust the trans adaptation shift points.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was having the same issues and took it to the dealer. For $500, they downloaded updated software to the trans module and the problem was corrected. I complained to Volvo and they sent me a 20% off coupon.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Try the software upgrade first. Just get the total can upgrade #30677038 and have the tech verify the tcm is included in bundle. $500 is way too much. Should only cost $67 for software and an hour or less in labor. If the tcm software is current or the software upgrade doesnt fix it you will need to replace the valve body. Valve body replacements do not require trans removal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try the software upgrade first. Just get the total can upgrade #30677038 and have the tech verify the tcm is included in bundle. $500 is way too much. Should only cost $67 for software and an hour or less in labor. If the tcm software is current or the software upgrade doesnt fix it you will need to replace the valve body. Valve body replacements do not require trans removal.
How do I bring up such a inquire to the service rep? Just say I want to get the cars software updated?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
How do I bring up such a inquire to the service rep? Just say I want to get the cars software updated?
pretty much. Just ask if there is any updated software for the TCM or Transmission. They will hook it up, check and see if it needs it, if it does they will ask if you wanna update it for a certain price.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Have the transmission fluid flushed. Mine included new software update.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Have the transmission fluid flushed. Mine included new software update.
+1 -> go in and explain the issue to a good Volvo service tech: my flush cost about $350 and they are supposed to install the latest software as part of any major maintenance.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
i thought Volvo was bragging about offering free software updates when you brought your car in for service now. I know they offer free DICE scans now.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
06 GT's (especially earlier builds) were prone to this issue.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was having the same issues and took it to the dealer. For $500, they downloaded updated software to the trans module and the problem was corrected. I complained to Volvo and they sent me a 20% off coupon.
$500 for a SOFTWARE update?! For a CAR?! I'm in the wrong business

1 - 15 of 15 Posts