SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

This is my first post here, I never really had to make a post before but I have an issue I cant seem to fix and its bugging me a lot.

I recently installed coilovers on my 2006 V50 T5 AWD with the M66 6 speed. After installing the coils my reverse lockout is no longer working. I had the car on lowering springs before and didn't have any issues with the transmission or shifting into reverse. I tried doing some research on the issue but I haven't found anyone with a P1 Volvo who has had the same issue. I can really only find posts about the lockout on S60Rs and I'm not sure how similar the issues are. I read that it could be a fuse but there is not a single fuse for it and I don't know what other fuse would be related to it that wouldn't also cause other parts the car to not work. I am not sure at this point what it could be so I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone can give some suggestions on what my issue could be.

Thank you,

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Not sure - I'd remove the waterfall and the center console, have someone drive you around your neighbourhood stop and gos with a multimeter on the harness plug to see if it's getting power while driving/stopping.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
The lockout will not function if there becomes an issue with wheel speed sensors. This can occur from failing ABS sensors, a hub walking out (common problem, especially when changing the geometry, that Volvo offers a solution for), or certain issues related to traction control.

Any dash lights or pending codes for traction control faults? Considering that you were just messing with the suspension, I'd guess something may have gotten loose or disconnected.

Here's some info about the hub walking out:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Im really confused now as of what "reverse lockout" is...? I thought from OP's initial post that its an issue with manually engaging reverse gear (lever/linkage/Rgear protection) but some answers point out at lack of AWD when reversing...
differences in US/UK english or am I missing the point completely?

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Im really confused now as of what "reverse lockout" is...? I thought from OP's initial post that its an issue with manually engaging reverse gear (lever/linkage/Rgear protection) but some answers point out at lack of AWD when reversing...
differences in US/UK english or am I missing the point completely?
Maybe I'm confused too! I thought we were referring to the part that "locks you out" of Reverse and 1st gear when traveling over a certain forward speed.

I know when mine went out, it was easy to accidentally end up in Reverse instead of 6th. You don't realize how close those gears are when you're driving and I always had to double check before letting the clutch out.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Maybe I'm confused too! I thought we were referring to the part that "locks you out" of Reverse and 1st gear when traveling over a certain forward speed.

I know when mine went out, it was easy to accidentally end up in Reverse instead of 6th. You don't realize how close those gears are when you're driving and I always had to double check before letting the clutch out.
Regardless of OP's quesiton - what you are describing (and what I called Rgear protection) is electronical and engaged by CEM based on wheel sensor output?
Didnt know that, actually never spent a thought on that... how can this thing "go out" , how did yours?

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Regardless of OP's quesiton - what you are describing (and what I called Rgear protection) is electronical and engaged by CEM based on wheel sensor output?
Didnt know that, actually never spent a thought on that... how can this thing "go out" , how did yours?
I'm not sure what all it's accounting for. But the wheel speed sensors look for a certain forward speed before activating the lock out protection thingy (whatever we're calling it :p). I don't know what speed it triggers at, but I know that it makes it hard to engage 1st and impossible to engage Reverse when moving.

When I encountered this problem, I had an ABS sensor go out. It gave me an ABS and traction control error on the dash, and that's when the car could freely slip into 1st or Reverse at any speed.
Pulling the ABS fuse does not have this effect because the sensors are still measuring wheel speed.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
I think the first-gear thing is just normal synchro resistance.

The lockout is a solenoid which prevents the shifter from going "right' into the reverse engagement horizontal leg. It engages at somewhere around 10mph IIRC and yes, it's energized from the CEM based on VSS values. At low speeds, a bad sensor can provide flaky signals that disturb this. But if it persists at higher speeds, a BCM error will be thrown. Typically this will produce a yellow-triangle and "skid control" or similar messages in the DIM.

There are reports of this lockout being a problem before. It's rare, but there are threads here. It's fairly easy to get to the lockout, it's below the waterfall just to the right of the shifter. OTOH, if it's truly the control system, that won't be necessary.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, but it just prevents travel down the horizontal reverse channel as someone else said? IIRC american manual transmissions are not equipped with synchros for reverse to prevent accidentally getting into it while driving down the highway?

Also I had a 1st gear synchro go bad on my old Getrag 5 speed quite a few years ago. I found shifting to 2nd then up to 1st helped reduce the difficulty of getting the trans into 1st gear. Still do 2nd-1sts everytime I stop, old habits die hard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts