SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help....

My V50 temp was fluctuating from midpoint to 3/4 and down to 1/4 for a few days. Swapped the temp sensor, thermostat and drained/filled the coolant.

Ran fine and temps were fine for over 2 weeks.

Thursday, June 27 I headed to Massachusetts for a music festival gig, hauling my camera gear and a small 3X5 trailer with gear as well. When I got to NJ, the temp needle started fluctuating again. Took it easy, checked hoses and coolant level at a rest stop and all was fine.

Didnt have another prob till northern NY. Was almost to Fishkill, NY and the temp shot up....pulled over and it dropped right back down within 20 secs. Waited 10-15 to be safe and got back on the road. Made it about a mile and the temp shot back up....exited again and this time there was coolant spray coming from the temps sensor/plastic pipe connection area.

Could not find a shop to fix it and the closest Volvo dealership couldnt get the part till the next Monday. That wouldn't work as I had to try and work and try to get back home.

I ended up having to rent a Uhaul to pull the car home.

I was finally able to get the car apart and worked on. I replaced the big hose with all the plastic junctions. The one in the car was split and 2 hoses came apart when removing it. I also replaced the thermostat again. I flushed all the coolant I could and put in fresh coolant.

Buttoned everything up and took a test drive. Let the car warm up to temp (needle in the middle)....drove down the driveway (1,000 feet)...stopped and checked for leaks...and slowly drove down the road.

1/4 mile mark and the temp started going up....made it to a turn off and the temp was all the way to the red. Was able to let it cool and turn around to get back home.

No AC was running. I could, initially put the car in neutral and get the temp to drop a bit, but that didnt work after I turned around. Had to stop...let it cool, then take off again.

So, whats next?

Radiator clogged? Guess it could be possible. There were some flecks of "rust" that came out of the hoses when they dried.

Help!!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Okay, so two things strike me as not being mentioned:

The first is that the temp was easily explained by air being in the area where the leak started. Okay problem solved there, and good on catching that hose early.

The second is - when you put the coolant back into the car, how did you fill it up? Did you squeeze the radiator hoses upon install to ensure an air block isn't stuck in the radiator and keeping your radiator from filling up?

We can't really bleed our units all things considered - but if you didn't fill it up all the way and air is still stuck and circulating, you're going to get higher temps till it's filled up. Also if you have a pressure leak, your system is going to boil and create air pockets.

A few vidoes show holding the system at higher (think about 3,000-4,000) RPM's while cool so that as soon as the car heats up and the thermostat opens the radiator sucks it down and fills up. If you didn't idle the car after fillup with the heat on until the thermostat opened and continue to fill it up you more than likely have airpockets and a few qts of coolant missing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran it with the heat on and added a bit more coolant before the test run.

Had a long troubleshooting talk with my mechanic friend and he asked about my heat....and I recalled that I didnt really have any heat this past winter. He suggested that I may have a clogged heater core...

I disconnected the heater core at the firewall and could barely get water to flow through the heater core...so...I am going to dig into replacing it...as clearly...it is severely restricting water flow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts