SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there gang, I just purchased a 2006 Sonic Blue and kinda think I wanna tweak it to get some more power from it. What is some of the most common things that one can do to it our cars and in what order. Completely new to Volvo's and the forum and looking for some help. Thanks in advance for your input

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome. Start by reading the sticky at the top of the forum landing page...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay jstro, now I feel really helpless because I can't figure out how to add pictures to a post. I guess I should have stated I'm not really the wrench turning type so is there any good indy shops in the western PA or eastern OH area?

·
Registered
501 Posts
way to maintain the integrity of Swedespeed. Make fun of newbies ;)

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
okay jstro, now I feel really helpless because I can't figure out how to add pictures to a post. I guess I should have stated I'm not really the wrench turning type so is there any good indy shops in the western PA or eastern OH area?
Here is how to post pict's. Definitely read the sticky as rgrove suggested, it's full of great info. Sonic blue is a very desirable color, what interior do you have?

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?157548-How-to-post-pictures-in-a-thread

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
you dont have to spend much time here to figure out how it works. a week or two of lurking is all you really need. some people prefer to jump in with both feet. read the sticky notes at the top of the R forum and they will tell you how to post pics.

sorry jstro you pushed enter right before me :cool:

·
Registered
621 Posts
welcome...what town in PA are you? and post pics of your car....

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
mrman76

This is good forum but a lot of things will take a while to understand. First most speak of a Camry for some reason. I got here because I bought an R and had always wanted one. Not a Camry but some talk about them a lot to new members. It takes awhile to know the jokers are ,,, BUT they are good and helpful, but as a new member they can put you off. There is a WEALTH of knowledge here so welcome, and enjoy the caR

They also speak in lots of Acronyms so take your time. If you look at my sig I'm about 10K in and a LOT more FUN. My R is addictive compared to my other Volvo's. Very refined power. Sure with a top seeped of 15* I'm learning there is more. Not a toy car but It does cost and be prepared for it. But for me my dream caR is a Kick A** Volvo

I have done a bit to my 2006 R in the last 4 months, with a goal of around 400 HP

·
Registered
64 Posts
What is your budget to spend? If you are running in a cooler climate than put off on an IPD intercooler. If you are running in a hotter climate than that may be more of a priority. Mods I have done to my 2007 Sonic include Evolve Tune, Evolve 3.5 DP, 3 inch exhaust, Evolve Air box and IPD intercooler. The point I am going for is air flow/temp through the engine as that directly impacts how the turbo operates. Altogether the mods were about $4K. My local dealer does not have a problem with the modifcations as it is under an extended warranty. Good luck with your new R.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Hey Blur!! How's the sonic R treating you? You have Don's old sonic/Atacama right? Remember I called you this past summer to see if you were selling it..I finally bought a Sonic...but had to settle for Nordkap..

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
welcome to ss, sonic is beautiful in person.

lots to learn on these cars. depending on mileage/condition of your car, before putting more power in. take your time and do stage 0, make sure everything is good order before applying more power to it.

good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hey Blur!! How's the sonic R treating you? You have Don's old sonic/Atacama right? Remember I called you this past summer to see if you were selling it..I finally bought a Sonic...but had to settle for Nordkap..
Great.Thank you for asking. Congrads as I am glad you picked on up. Sorry about not wanting to sell it, we just can't let it go right not. Just got through with the IPD intercooler install than my rim got bent the next day. It is at the dealership getting fixed right now so hopefully I can do some more seat of the pants testing before the wife gets back and takes it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
is this a Camry?

Budget is unknown, kinda wanna take steps in doing and that's why I was looking some suggestions on a spefic route to go to allow everything to come together at the end.. Don't want to put the cart before the horse!!!

For the Camry references, I'm going to try and attach a few pictures. 2 are from the dealer in Omaha and the other one was just yesterday after she got a bath.

It's only got 61,000 miles and everything seems to be mechanically sound. The stages that everyone is talking about, how are these determined?

and for those asking, I'm in Franklin PA with is just about where I80 and I79 intersect. Still looking for input on the go to guy for service in the area too.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Welcome. Nice Sonic/Nordkap! I'm sure you get extra points for an MT as well. CaRs respond well to Stage 2 mods including tune, FMIC, and DP/exhaust. Aftermarket springs to lower/level ride height (TME, Eibach) and track-spec sways (IPD) are beneficial additions as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts