SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this used 2006 s60 2.5t FWD on Feb 14, 2009.<p>I drove it from Chicago to California. When I got here, it began having some transmission issues. It had a hard shift from 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd. It was also delayed by 3-5 seconds when shifting into everything but Neutral. Now the car is just about to turn over 39k. I took it to Volvo about the issue, seeing as it's still within the factory warranty.<p>They initially told me the issue was normal. That simply was not true. I went in 3 days later, spoke with a different service writer and took a different tech out for a test drive. He noticed something was amiss.<p>I just got the car back today with a brand new transmission. Now that you know the history, here is my current issue.. I'm thinking the dealership was initially trying to get out of a costly repair because I have 11k miles until I'm out of the warrenty. I'm wondering if since this trans issue, should I have anything else checked? Does it normally go hand-in-hand with other issues?<p>I'm new to this Volvo thing. I've previously had 2 Explorers and 2 Mustangs.. Sedans are uncharted territory for me.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Re: 06 s60 trans issue (BttlScrs00x)

It's usually a stand alone issue that does not affect other parts of the car. There was an issue with early versions of the Volvo transmission control software that caused premature wear. The newer versions of the software apparently address this though. I had my software updated in 2007 and have not had any difficulties since.<p>The way to minimize the likelihood of it from ever happening again is to get a transmission fluid flush every 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
do a drain and fill, i did it with my 2.5t and now it shifts like butter! i had 70K and it was shifting hard between 2nd and 3rd gears.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Re: (DGBibo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>DGBibo</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do a drain and fill, i did it with my 2.5t and now it shifts like butter! i had 70K and it was shifting hard between 2nd and 3rd gears.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>umm, the guy just got a new transmission, he does not need a drain and fill right now.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
yeah maybe ill read the whole post next time lol.<br>regardless, we all know there is no such thing as a new transmission. its rebuilt.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Re: (DGBibo)

Some newer models that end up with trans problems sometimes do get new transmissions, instead of re-built. remember, that has to be a stack of junky old transmissions to rebuild, be fore you can get one thats re-built...<p><br>To the OP, the dealership is not the one who foots the bill for any repair, expensive or not, unless they decide to goodwill it for a customer. Even then, there are types of goodwill warranty from the manufacturer.<p>As far as the first guy telling you that you didnt have a trans problem, it probably boils down to a lazy tech that didnt want to install it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, guys.. I really appreciate it. Don't worry, I'm good about staying on top of maintenance.. And I'm pretty sure it's a new trans.. I've never seen a rebuilt run 4500$.. But maybe that's just because my trans experiences were all involving my foxes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts