SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife drives an 06 S60 T5 auto.

Over the past few months when it would get cool outside (50f or below) her car would begin to run rough. Almost like a misfire or near stall condition according to her (this is both in park and in drive). As soon as the engine warmed up it stopped happening. It would never do it to me though.

Fast forward to a few nights ago when I drove it and it finally happens. It's in the mid to high 40's outside. I start her car up when it was half warm and it began running rough immediately. RPM dipping almost low enough to stall. I slightly revved it above 1,000 RPM and it sings a nice tune. Let off the throttle and it's still doing it. I feathered the throttle to take off. Once driving and stopping at stop lights, it doesn't do it again for a while.

Then I parked but had the engine running for a few minutes in park. The car began sputtering and nearly dying but just barely managed to stay running on its own. I allowed it to run a while to see if it would ever actually die. It didn't but it just seemed so close. It would idle perfect for 5 to 10 seconds and then start chugging and idling low for 5 to 10 and then keep repeating this cycle. It was almost predictable when it was gong to happen.

Now it's doing the same thing, despite being 60 degrees today...so hot and cold are not a factor now. Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
my first thought is ETB, has it ever had the throttle body cleaned?

also, has it ever had the pcv system replaced? mine got rough like that when the pcv system got plugged up.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my first thought is ETB, has it ever had the throttle body cleaned?

also, has it ever had the pcv system replaced? mine got rough like that when the pcv system got plugged up.
Never had the throttle body cleaned. Bought it with 88k miles and now it has 99,9XX

PCV system hasn't been touched since we owned it either. Literally it's only been brakes, oil changes, a/c service and coolant flush so far.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 04 2.5t was doing the same thing, so I took the throttle body out and cleaned it up nicely only to find out this wasn't the problem, car still idled really rough, I then replaced my pcv system and it feels lIke a new car again! It wouldn't hurt to look at your throttle body, but, my best guess is definitely your pcv system! Good luck, hope you figure it out.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couple of updates:

My wife stopped in to our local favorite shop. They diagnosed a mass air sensor. Replaced it and it still did the same thing. They removed the new sensor and put the old one back in and charged her nothing.

I noted that it was running rough at idle in park that night. When I put it in drive it immediately stopped for a while. However several hours later at a stop light I had to feather the throttle to keep it from dying.

I read the codes when the check engine light came back on. P0101 Mass Air Flow circuit and p0170 lean code (which is of course just secondary).

In most US domestic applications this code would almost 100% narrow it down to replacement of the mass air sensor but my reading says that may not be the case with volvo...So this is new territory for me. I'll check the pcv system first, this week when I'm free. Is it just a pcv valve in the valve cover or do you all replace hoses and all?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Couple of updates:

My wife stopped in to our local favorite shop. They diagnosed a mass air sensor. Replaced it and it still did the same thing. They removed the new sensor and put the old one back in and charged her nothing.

I noted that it was running rough at idle in park that night. When I put it in drive it immediately stopped for a while. However several hours later at a stop light I had to feather the throttle to keep it from dying.

I read the codes when the check engine light came back on. P0101 Mass Air Flow circuit and p0170 lean code (which is of course just secondary).

In most US domestic applications this code would almost 100% narrow it down to replacement of the mass air sensor but my reading says that may not be the case with volvo...So this is new territory for me. I'll check the pcv system first, this week when I'm free. Is it just a pcv valve in the valve cover or do you all replace hoses and all?
Could just be the breather hose or could be that the oil trap is clogged up as well. Best to check everything. Mine was all gunked and clogging up. Plus it's probably good to replace the whole thing anyways while youre in there since you have to remove the fuel rail and intake manifold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts