SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
55,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any other '06 MT owners hear a clunking or metal engagement sound when shifting - you can hear it with the windows down, I've heard it up through 4th gear when traveling through a tunnel. This is not the axel ping sound, forward or engaging reverse, 1st to 2nd to 3rd, etc. If I keep a little gas on the pedal or ride the clutch it doesn't do it but with my foot completely off the gas when shifting, I can easily duplicate the sound.

The sound is really like metal gears disengaging and re-engaging (suprise), its just that I've never heard the sound in a new car, on a tractor yes.

Trying to determine if this is the nature of the beast for 06s which I believe has a different clutch setup. Mine has been doing it since new so if it was someting broken, i would have thought it would have failed by now, 5400 miles.

My dealer doesn't have another '06 MT to do a comparison.

thanks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Re: '06 MT owners: Noise engaging clutch ? ([email protected])

Hi, yes sometimes I hear a clunk or pop when I engage first from a standing stop or when shifting through the gears but never while driving. Usually when I depress the clutch. I'll try and pay a little more attention but I usually have the stereo bumpin' so I hardly ever hear car noise

I've got about 2500 miles so far and no issues with the clutch. I sort of figured this was a normal sound so I haven't worried about it. The clutch has never slipped or popped out of gear while driving and no issues during hard acceleration.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Re: '06 MT owners: Noise engaging clutch ? (mlieras)

I think I've heard the same thing on my 06 (1400 miles). Whenever I engage the clutch to shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, it will make that click/clunk sound if I don't shift precisely. It definitely happens more often if you are not giving it gas right up until you shift, making it unpleasant to actually drive the car easy. I may take it in next weekend to address the issue (if it is one). I don't think its the same thing as the axle spline issue, which i guess is a good thing.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: '06 MT owners: Noise engaging clutch ? (jdog)

We have an 04 and it has done it since we got it. Happens when shifting between 1st and 2nd sometimes 2nd and 3rd and if you are in 1st and going slow in like a drive thru and let off you hear it as well. Its actually at the dealer right now for it again because it drives me insane and is embarassing. I took the dealer a TNN about the axel spleen glue and hub replacement but they say thats doesnt apply. So they have it now and are trying to fix it for the third time. The last two times they replaced rear sway bars saying that was the issue. I dont see how thats the problwm when its coming from the front of the car.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: '06 MT owners: Noise engaging clutch ? (jdog)

There have been a few threads on here about it already. Some people have said they got it fixed. Others have been told it has something to do with the AWD system and there is nothing you can do about it.

·
Registered
336 Posts

I think what you're hearing is normal, if I understand you correctly. On every MT car I've had (quite a few), I could hear the gears changing in the transmission if I listened hard enough. I've heard it on my Volvo too, though it's much quieter than the gearbox on my BMW. Usually I only hear it with the windows down, the noise is actually coming from under the car and in from outside, though I have been in older cars where the noise comes right in from under the dash.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: '06 MT owners: Noise engaging clutch ? (Dashdog)

It not just gears changing even if your in first and going slow and let completely off the gas you hear a clunk clunk sound. Its not normal at least not in any of the other stick cars I've ever driven.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: (tray)

If this is what I think you guys are describing, all it is, is the clutch/pressure-plate engaging. If you press the clutch in @ very slow roll, like 1st to 2nd, or even neutral to first...you can actually control it as you'd hear the "noise" JUST when the clutch begins to engage.

If this is what you are experiencing, it is completely normal!

·
Super Moderator
14,845 Posts
chris I have heard it too, but it's not too pronounced.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Re: (phuz)

I've got it on my '04. I notice it's more pronounced when the car (and the temperature) is hot. The last time I brought it to the dealer to have them take a ride with me, I could not hear it (car was cold). It looks like from all these comments that they couldn't fix it anyway.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

I had the axle "ping" fix done for what you are describing. I never heard a "ping". It was always a clunking sound that happened in the same scenarios you just mentioned. Once I had the fix performed-no more clunk. Also, like you said it is easy to replicate. I didn't even have to take it out of the parking lot for the service advisor to pick up on it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: '06 MT owners: Noise engaging clutch ? (I Roll)

Quick update on my car. Just got off the phone with the dealership. They deal very little with R's as a matter of fact the service manager said they have only ever worked on 3 of them mine and the Owner of the dealer has 2. They actually had to have the owner of the dealership bring his R to the place so they could drive it and compare it to mine. They are telling me they think its the transmission and want to schedule a time to swap it out. I'm not so sure its the transmission unless everyone in this thread needs a new one.

·
Registered
14,459 Posts

I have this occasionally on my car. I have taken the car to two dealers and have had the axle spline fix done twice. Frankly, I just think it's a case of driveline lash- there is some play in the driveline due to the AWD system.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Re: '06 MT owners: Noise engaging clutch ? (Wayne T5)

Quote, originally posted by Wayne T5 »
Frankly, I just think it's a case of driveline lash- there is some play in the driveline due to the AWD system.

I think I agree. I hear a 'clunk clunk' when shifting hard and the sound I hear sounds like the drive shaft. In my car the sound seems to be coming from under the hump somewhere right under the spaceball or maybe farther back. I've never listened to it with the windows down but I'll try that next.

There are times when I shift hard and it does NOT happen which is usually when I shift under 5500rpm. The clunk-clunk seems to be reproduceable when shifting at around 6000rpms or higher.

I might try to have a close look underneeth to see if there are any physical signs to prove this.

LTA

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: '06 MT owners: Noise engaging clutch ? (LTA)

Update to my update. After getting two other R's that the dealer could drive they decided it wasnt the transmission and that its normal. Although as soon as I pulled out of the lot the check engine light came on so the car is back there for that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts