SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been going down the rabbit hole tonight... I've got an 06 SR GT with a valve body that is crap. It falls within TNN43-53-2006-12-21.

TNN43-53-2006-12-21 Title: Auto Trans - TF80-SC Diagnostic Information Summary - Valve Body Replacement.
This document summarizes customer complaints related to the 6 speed Automatic Transmission (TF80-SC) and should be used together with the information in VIDA.

The Valve Body should be replaced to address the following symptoms:
1. Customer complaints about 2-3 upshift quality. The shift may be described as harsh, or as a shudder. The symptom is usually more apparent during the first few minutes of driving after a cold start.
2. Customer complaints of shudder when slowing down, just before coming to a stop. The symptom may also be described as a harsh downshift just before coming to a stop.
3. Neutral condition in 4th, 5th & 6th gear; normal behavior in 1st, 2nd, 3rd & Reverse. One or more of the following DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) may be present: P073400, P073500, P072900, P089600.
4. Neutral condition in all gears except 5th & Reverse, usually with DTC P273300 set. DTCs for gear ratio(s) may also be set such as P073000, P073100, P073200, or P073400.
Note: Transmissions starting with serial number 06J and later already have the latest valve body which is designed to prevent these symptoms.

While I was browsing, I found that 2007 XC90 V8's have a string of bad valve bodies with remarkably similar issues. Well, turns out they also use the Aisin Warner TF80-SC. When I started searching about this issue in the XC90 forum, a recurring theme showed up. That theme is that "these transmissions respond well to flushing". Now, in the R forum, there's always been stark opposition to the use of power flushing, especially when the R has not had regular fluid changes. The XC90 has some of this same warnings, but there's a lot more support for the use of the "BG Machine" and "BG Fluids" for delaying/correcting the symptoms of the valve bodies. For example:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-fluid-flush&p=2306885&viewfull=1#post2306885
"For everybody's information, I am running BG fluid in both my S80 and my XC90. Both were put in following a power flush with the BG machine.

2008 S80 V8 - I had the power flush performed at 190,000 miles. I did this as maintenance as the fluid was original. After about 45k (235k) miles, the transmission still shifts flawlessly.

2007 XC90 V8 - I had the power flush done at 228k miles because the transmission was slipping badly in 6th gear. Following the flush, and the change to BG fluid, the slipping went away entirely, and has not come back. The transmission returned to flawless operation and has been fine ever since.

Those who say that high mileage transmissions don't take well to flushes should consider my experiences with both the BG flush machine, and BG fluid. Because of my positive experience with it, I run BG fluid in any car I have that will take it. The BG fluid is specifically labeled to meet mobil 3309 specifications.

As a side note, both of these services were performed by the Volvo dealership. They did not offer the option of a drain and fill (they would only flush it), and they talked me into the BG fluid initially. I'm glad they did, because it has proven to be excellent in both cars for a boat load of miles."

I'd never heard of this, so I looked it up:

http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/transmission.htm

What I also found is that my local Volvo shop has this machine. So what I'm wondering is, has anyone tried this in our caRs? If so, what was your experience? I'm considering trying this out on my SR.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I did this to my father in law's 06 S60R.

When we got the car there was about 130K on the clock and the fluid had not been changed for a very long time. The car was exhibiting the same symptoms as yours before we started. We flushed the system and reset counters and waited a month. The symptoms never changed. I installed a rebuilt valve body from Ream Man and that took care of it's issues.

To be fair, we could have flushed the system twice and seen where that got us. Or perhaps the more gentle drain and refill every 3k miles for a year. When I replaced the valve body the fluid that came out of it didn't look fantastic even though it had only been in the car for 1,000 miles or so. I should have checked the fluid again the last time I serviced the car since it's been 4-5k since the valve body was replaced.

I am a very firm believer in replacing transmission fluid and am still baffled that people are apposed to it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
One of the Volvo repairers in Adelaide here swears by his flushing machine which he claims uses the same pressure to flush as the AW and TF series transmission pump.

After seeing first hand many Volvo transmissions that have immovable sludge build-up that darken the fluid immediately after back to back drain and fills, I can see the value in using something that will shift and clean the sludge.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
No power flushes for me.

I will how ever do the DIY type of flush where I let new fluid run into the trans input line from a clean funnel attached to the hood, and old fluid out from the output line into a 5 gallon bucket so you can see the color fluid coming out.

I will do this 2-3 quarts at a time until the fluid coming out cleans up to bright red. I used more than 20 quarts on my last flush like this in my Jaguar S type R that was rwd and has a 6 speed auto just like ours with even the same 50 degree c fill up procedure. Fill up the funnel and then have some one start the car for 15-20 seconds and let the old fluid come out then turn the car off and start over.

Either several drain and fills over time, or my flush method the idea is the same to flush as much crap out of the trans with lots of fresh, clean and new fluid.

This method was originally recomended to me buy the guy who runs Import Performance Trans who builds high hp auto's for import and domestic cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts