SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 05 XC90 V8 that has a bad engine, I'm shopping engines and the S80 V8's seem to go cheaper, does anyone know if they are interchangeable between the two models? The engine I'm looking at is from a 07 S80.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I don't think they are interchangeable.

The engine mount on the front of the engine (harmonic balancer side of the engine) in the XC90 is on the lower part of the engine (next to/below the harmonic balancer).

I believe, in the S80, the front of the engine is supported higher up.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
I didn't weigh in because I wasn't sure (still not), but my recollection is that they are not interchangeable for a reason similar to what qaz said. I had in my mind that the mounts were not the same.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a picture from a 4.4 from an 07 S80. From what I can tell it looks the same. I'm going to do some more digging.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/beYEumI"><a href="//imgur.com/beYEumI"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I don't think they are interchangeable.

The engine mount on the front of the engine (harmonic balancer side of the engine) in the XC90 is on the lower part of the engine (next to/below the harmonic balancer).

I believe, in the S80, the front of the engine is supported higher up.
That would imply that the block castings are different. Are you sure the mounts are not removable/interchangeable?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Seems odd that Volvo would make the castings different given their modular approach to engines, specially since this is a yamaha built engine as well. Sure the mounts are different but the layout is more or less the same with the 6speed auto. Curious to see how this plays out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
No manufacturer would design two different physical versions of the same engine. I would think the mounting brackets and locations might be different but you should be able to use one out of an S80.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, the engines share the same part number according to the IPD site.

I'm thinking it's just like the 2.5T where it can be used between the different models with just minor mount changes. Of course, I don't want to buy a $600 paperweight to find out :)

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
Here's the graphical representation of the difference in upper mounts:

S80

XC90

Edit: Conclusion perhaps not conclusive.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I see the problem now, the red dipstick isn't interchangeable with the yellow. :)

From what I can tell that upper mount on the S80 just bolts to the same spot as the lifting point on an XC90.

Here is the end of an XC90 engine which has the lifting point in place.

Here is a S80 engine, the 3 holes it uses are present on the XC90 block.

Another S80 engine

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I looked at this as well yesterday, with another photo set here (as long as it lasts)- https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/V8-Yamaha-Volvo-Engine-4-4L-i-/272777756243

I see the mount holes for both cars on both the engines, the rear bank cooling brackets are the same between the two. At a high level, I cannot see anything overtly obvious that would prevent a swap.

For alternator, if you don't buy new at least consider swapping the regulator and brushes since you're already there.

Good luck.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, I see the problem now, the red dipstick isn't interchangeable with the yellow. :)

From what I can tell that upper mount on the S80 just bolts to the same spot as the lifting point on an XC90.

Here is the end of an XC90 engine which has the lifting point in place.

Here is a S80 engine, the 3 holes it uses are present on the XC90 block.

Another S80 engine

Lol.... Nailed it!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I looked at this as well yesterday, with another photo set here (as long as it lasts)- https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/V8-Yamaha-Volvo-Engine-4-4L-i-/272777756243

I see the mount holes for both cars on both the engines, the rear bank cooling brackets are the same between the two. At a high level, I cannot see anything overtly obvious that would prevent a swap.

For alternator, if you don't buy new at least consider swapping the regulator and brushes since you're already there.

Good luck.
And replace the spark plugs in the rear and the oh so easy to get to with the motor in the car tensioner in the front.

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
You might consider the valve cover gaskets, as well, since you'll have it sitting on a rack instead of the bay.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have an 05 XC90 V8 that has a bad engine, I'm shopping engines and the S80 V8's seem to go cheaper, does anyone know if they are interchangeable between the two models? The engine I'm looking at is from a 07 S80.
If you dont mind me asking.... what failed on the motor?.... how many miles?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you dont mind me asking.... what failed on the motor?.... how many miles?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Not sure yet, I know the valves are bent, I'm assuming it's a balance shaft bearing that failed and let the chain go loose. I bought the car with the engine failed so I've yet to pull it out and find out what actually failed. It failed at 153K.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You might consider the valve cover gaskets, as well, since you'll have it sitting on a rack instead of the bay.
Yes, my plan is to reseal the timing cover, valve covers, RMS and do a full tuneup outside of the car.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yes, my plan is to reseal the timing cover, valve covers, RMS and do a full tuneup outside of the car.
Reseal the upper & lower oil pan as well while you're at it. After that, you will have dealt with all the normal oil leak spots.

Maybe (while it's on an engine stand), reseal the oil gallery plug that's above the RMS. If I remember right, it's something like a 14mm hex plug.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reseal the upper & lower oil pan as well while you're at it. After that, you will have dealt with all the normal oil leak spots.

Maybe (while it's on an engine stand), reseal the oil gallery plug that's above the RMS. If I remember right, it's something like a 14mm hex plug.
Thanks!

Are the upper and lower pan seals the same anaerobic like on the 2.5t?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts