SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiancée just purchased an 05 xc90 t6, the other day we are driving along at about 40 mph and I start to apply the brKes to slow down for a turn and all a sudden out of know where there is this terrible grinding sound coming from the drivers front tire. So I get it home and take the tire off and inspect the brakes, they looked pretty low so I decided to pick up some new front pads.
I installed the pads yesterday, bled the brakes, took it out for a test drive and all was good for about 2 miles then all a sudden the noise is back. So today I jacked it back up took the drivers side front tire off and took the brakes apart and looked at them and my new pads had a groove in them on the bottom of the pad. So I took the rotor off and took it to my local less schwab and they turned the rotor for me. I thought the rotor not being completely flat has to be the problem. I just got done installing the freshly turned rotor and installed the caliper and pads, put it all back together to try it out again and it's still making noise.
What am I missing here? I am 110 percent certain I installed the pads and rotor correctly. The person she bought the car from is one of our friends, I talked to him about this and he said that something similiar happened to him with it but it ended up being the cv axle on the passenger side. He said he was convinced it was the brakes making the noise but come to find out it was the cv axle and he had to replace it and that was right before we bought it.
My fiancée is convinced it's the cv axle and I'm convinced it's the brakes because everytime I mees with the brakes it changes or the noise will go away for a couple miles then it comes back,mif it was the cv axle wouldn't it be making noise all the time? How do I figure out what's causing this?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
There are two size pads, did you get the right ones?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes our xc90 has 18 inch wheels, and the rotors are 336mm, and I got pads for the 336mm rotor. The pads I got were from autozone, the part number is mkd1003 and on autozones web page they say they are for the 336mm rotor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured out the issue, the caliper was hitting the top of the brake rotor, because the bottom caliper bolt had something wrong with it, I don't know what was wrong with it but when you tightend it,not would loosen up shortly after and that would allow the caliper to hit the rotor. I replaced both upper and lower caliper bolts and problem is solved.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts