SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With bittersweet emotions, we traded our xc in for a ford escape. It drives a lot like the xc and won't cost us as much on gas and maintenance. I really wish Volvo offered the xc40 stateside.....oh well. Wife didn't like how long the front of the s60 was and I didn't like the price of the xc60 when nicely equipped.:(

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
With bittersweet emotions, we traded our xc in for a ford escape. It drives a lot like the xc and won't cost us as much on gas and maintenance. I really wish Volvo offered the xc40 stateside.....oh well. Wife didn't like how long the front of the s60 was and I didn't like the price of the xc60 when nicely equipped.:(
Fuel and maintence is a small price to pay for my family's safety. A 8 year old car will not stand a chance compared to any new car out there.

At least you stayed within the ford family LOL...ford owned volvo in 05, now you really own a ford.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
......Fuel and maintence is a small price to pay for my family's safety......
If you go here: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx , and compare both vehicles .... you will find the Insurance Institute rates them both very similarly. "Top Safety Picks!" And whereas I like, and have worked, on both drivetrains ... I would pick the Ford Duratec V6 engine over the 2.5T for nearly all categories ... especially longivity and simplicity of maintenance. But the 2.0T is a new one for me. Right away, I see it has some Duratec carry-over features I like .... chain driven cams (as opposed to 2.5T's belt) ... back end cam driven water pump (easier to service). I hope there are no add-on oil coolers patched onto the oil pan or block .. like the 2.5T has.

·
Registered
701 Posts
First off, sorry to hear you are leaving the Volvo family. Hope you come back soon! That said, two vehicles having the same safety rating does not mean they are just as safe. It means they have achieved the level of safety tested for, but that is it. Thankfully Volvo doesn’t build features just to pass government or insurance industry tests, so we see their scores excel even when the bar is raised.
The 2.5T/5 speed was a great combination, giving a balance of performance and economy in a very heavy vehicle (boron steel roof!). It is amazing how many new XC90's I see on the road considering the age of the basic design and that you can't even get the 2.5T anymore.
Hopefully we get some of the lost souls back when the new XC90 arrives. Or, even better, when Volvo comes to its sensus (ha) and brings the V40 / V40 XC to the States!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Re: the IIHS top safety pick thing... All gov't crash test agencies (around the world) only test the cars so much, so the fact that two different cars have the same rating does NOT mean that they are equally safe! Not even M-B and BMW make their cars able to withstand the pressures on the roof that Volvo does, for example, yet some of them are rated the same.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
If you go here: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx , and compare both vehicles .... you will find the Insurance Institute rates them both very similarly. "Top Safety Picks!" And whereas I like, and have worked, on both drivetrains ... I would pick the Ford Duratec V6 engine over the 2.5T for nearly all categories ... especially longivity and simplicity of maintenance. But the 2.0T is a new one for me. Right away, I see it has some Duratec carry-over features I like .... chain driven cams (as opposed to 2.5T's belt) ... back end cam driven water pump (easier to service). I hope there are no add-on oil coolers patched onto the oil pan or block .. like the 2.5T has.
Longivity?...?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Oops! ... "longevity".

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
The new 2013 Escape is really, really nice. I've been debating with a friend whether the Land Rover Evoque is worth the $15k premium over the Escape.

We're in agreement that the Evoque's styling, finishes, and ride quality are better than the Escape but to the point where we'd call it a draw.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First off, sorry to hear you are leaving the Volvo family. Hope you come back soon! That said, two vehicles having the same safety rating does not mean they are just as safe. It means they have achieved the level of safety tested for, but that is it. Thankfully Volvo doesn’t build features just to pass government or insurance industry tests, so we see their scores excel even when the bar is raised.
The 2.5T/5 speed was a great combination, giving a balance of performance and economy in a very heavy vehicle (boron steel roof!). It is amazing how many new XC90's I see on the road considering the age of the basic design and that you can't even get the 2.5T anymore.
Hopefully we get some of the lost souls back when the new XC90 arrives. Or, even better, when Volvo comes to its sensus (ha) and brings the V40 / V40 XC to the States!
I still have my S40 and don't expect it to go anywhere any time soon. I hope my next vehicle is the XC40, I hope your listening Volvo!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
The new 2013 Escape is really, really nice. I've been debating with a friend whether the Land Rover Evoque is worth the $15k premium over the Escape.

We're in agreement that the Evoque's styling, finishes, and ride quality are better than the Escape but to the point where we'd call it a draw.
Complete different cars and segment. I have seen the escape but too small for me and my family

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
The Edge is a nice size. And talking about safety, the Edge had gone a few of years of sales without a "driver death". I don't know the current updated statistics.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
...two vehicles having the same safety rating does not mean they are just as safe. It means they have achieved the level of safety tested for, but that is it. Thankfully Volvo doesn’t build features just to pass government or insurance industry tests, so we see their scores excel even when the bar is raised.
Exactly!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts