SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a passion red/gobi V70R with 125k on the odometer. Seller had service records up to 120k. After bringing the car home I started noticing a weird sound coming from the engine. What could this be? It seems to be coming from the center of the engine. I plan of taking it to my indy but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
578 Posts
Can you describe the sound, and if anything makes it better or worse? maybe a video would help.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Was the timing belt changed at 105K?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He told me all scheduled maintenance was performed on the car, although when I got home and analyzed the service manual closer, I see that it's been performed by an indy shop. The noise doesn't seem to be coming from the idler/pulleys, but more from the center of the engine, like where the coils are.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Maybe it's my phone but I can't isolate a noise based on the video and specifics would be helpful. Is it a clank, a click, chatter, hissing? If for example it's a click - is it a high speed click? Does the volume or interval change when you rev?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Almost sounds like a clogged oil trap or misfire or even collapsed engine mounts that give that kinda rumble sound? Some more details and/or better sound clip would help narrow it down.
Also check the timing belt. I just bought a car with 123K and all dealer records but the timing belt was original.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So when I'm under the hood at idle it sounds almost like a high pitched hiss, or like a tiny bearing that's shot. When I accelerate I can hear a click, which gets faster as I accelerate. It's not a knock.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Could be the timing belt idler pulley or tensioner pulley. Pull the upper timing cover and listen for the noise. You do not want either of those bearings to fail. If it is one of those. Tow the car to the repair shop. Its not worth the risk of driving it. Clogged PCV can make a hissing noise. Crack the oil cap while its running at idle and if there is a HUGE inital hissi and you noise goes away, it may be a clogged PCV Oil Trap

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im going to be so pissed if it's the timing belt/idler. He reassured me it was taken care of. I'll try the pcv test and cross my fingers.

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Sounds like your exhaust manifold gaskets have blown out. Do you smell exhaust above the engine. You may also see a lot of black exhaust marks on the back of the head.

If not that could be a noisy valvetrain, but my educated guess is exhaust noise.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
May also be VVT

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From what I can tell, the noise is coming from the intake manifold. Does that sound crazy?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oil levels seems fine, although a bit on the darker side, but nothing extreme.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cracked the oil cap when the engine was on, no hiss. I'm really hoping it's not the idler/tensioner. The seller reassured me this was taken care of.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Did you crack and lift up on the oil cap while idling? If the cap seems to be sucking itself back down like there is a lot of vacuum in the crankcase, it can be a clogged oil separator which is right under......intake manifold.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
If you don't have a stethoscope, you can use a long screwdriver and place the tip around different places with the handle to your ear and try to pinpoint noise. Check Power Steering fluid level?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts