SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be getting my '05 V8 XC 90 back from the dealer next week. The counter-balance shaft and bearing are being replaced at VCNA's expense. I'm also having the timing chain replaced at the service manager's recommendation. Alternator will be replaced before engine goes back in. My confidence in the vehicle has been shaken, though VCNA and my dealer have been great. I love the vehicle and would like to keep it for a couple more years. It is very comfortable, powerful, and relatively efficient consistently returning 23-25 mph on the highway and 17-19 average mpg overall. It now has 140K miles but has been dealer serviced since new. This has been an eye-opening experience to the extremely high cost of repairs when repairs are required, easily double maintenance costs of my Cadillac Seville STS. My questions are mainly directed to those who have had the counter-balance shaft and bearing replaced. Did you keep your XC90? How many miles did you drive before your confidence in the vehicle was restored? Would you keep it or sell it?

·
Registered
473 Posts
OK i did not have the CB issue but I think there is a follow-up question which is if you got rid of the XC90 what would you replace it with? I have owned a lot of the choices out there and the simple answer is that the Volvo is still the better answer in terms of combined safety, comfort and flexibility. Remember the devil you know....... Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have to agree with Excimer. I have driven a lot of other vehicles thinking I might trade someday, but there just isn't anything out there right now that does it for me. Let's hope something comes along in a few years before my XC is all used up.

p.s., of all the Volvos I have owned, I looks like my 05 XC90 V8 will be the first one I keep past 200K miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree it could not be replaced easily without spending more money. I could sell it and replace it with something more inexpensive to repair, such as a Suburban, but I like the size, AWD, and efficiency of the XC90. I just want to feel confident to go across country without the fear of breaking down and requiring thousands of dollars of repairs. If I could make it to 200K without another major repair, then I think it would be wise to keep it because like you have said, what can it be replaced with that is comparable.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Do not agree

Have you driven a Suburban recently? Scares the piss out of me. Large, lumbering and completely uncontrollable in an emergency. Drove my sisters 2011 Suburban from DC to NY. NEVER AGAIN. Responds like a house on wheels. So far she has only had to replace the brakes at 19K and a rear wheel bearing and front tires (it has 22k). Want to talk about gas mileage? Try gallons per mile. Only thing tempting in my book is a diesel Touareg. And I did not love that. The MB ML diesel was too gimmicky and the MB GL diesel was just as bad but with LESS power. No, I have no real suggestion for you except maybe a newer XC90.

PS My V8 XC90 has ~60K miles in just 2 years because every trip we take all occupants (driver and passengers) prefer the Volvo to all others available. I believe that I will be at close to 150K within 5 years.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Keep it. Drive it. The CB bearing has been replaced with an upgraded bearing.

Glad you got alternator done.

I'm keeping mine. I consider it a 'vault' as far as safety.

Next car? We'll see...the Ford Flex has caught my eye. It's got a lot XC90 in it from when Ford owned Volvo.

I've 10,000 miles on the new CB bearing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Next car? We'll see...the Ford Flex has caught my eye. It's got a lot XC90 in it from when Ford owned Volvo.
That it does. Same platform basically, taken slightly downmarket for cost savings, but longer and lower to the ground. Both factors which were pluses for us when we considered it a few months ago. The problem was that it just didn't seem as well put together as the Volvo. Everything is just a bit flimsier and chintzier, apparently quality was job four. The 3rd row seats are straight out of an 80's Bronco, and the second row 60/40 bench doesn't slide reducing the passenger/cargo Flexibility. Those misses together with some dubious build quality stories (cars coming off the line lacking air filters and the like) and a truly wretched CPO warranty kept us from buying the car instead of the Volvo.

It is a great design though, with a great engine in the EB, and it drives/rides better than the XC90. If Ford can manage to build some quality into it we would buy one.

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
534 Posts
Yes.
Less than 1 mile.
Still going.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I actually BOUGHT one after it had the replacement. The reason being I know the engine had been serviced, fluids changed in the transmission etc. and had been gone over by a tech in great detail. Not to mention having a service like that on the record scares the piss out of all but the buyers who know what they're doing. I got mine at a steal because of someone in the same scenario (waaay under auction).

I'd keep it, I love my XC90. It's not without its quirks and yes it is expensive to work on. But safety and the ability to do so many various tasks with it means I'm driving this one into the ground.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have considered selling it and purchasing a newer V-8 model but does that not make sense when they have not really changed the XC90 much over the years so I'd be paying more money for what is basically the same thing as I now have and no guarantees the newer one would not have it's own issues. I may end up regretting it but I am leaning on just keeping it and keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kept mine, going on a year since repair. Engine is strong. Agreed, hard to find a comparable vehicle at comparable price. My other choice would be the Audi Q7, but just too expensive. That said, I do think the XC is a needy vehicle. Since the balance shaft (and alternator), I've had to replace the ignition lock cylinder (another infamous volvo fault) a few weeks ago, and now diagnosed with failed wheel bearing hub assembly in the rear ($200 part!), and bad inner tie rod end. And months with a passenger airbag warning light. Occupant weight sensor failure? Almost dont want to know.. Seems like its always something with it. Its a great vehicle, my wife loves it, meets our needs and its very nice. But it will likely be my last volvo - just too many things going wrong. BUT, engine is strong... I'm developing a love/hate with that thing.. it is damn nice, enjoyable when all is in working order, but just seems to always need some type of repair. But I'll be keeping it for several more years.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Our faith in the car was quickly restored after the repair. Despite it costing us $6k, once returned to service it picked up right where it left off as being a comfortable & enjoyable vehicle for us. We are more cognizant of the fact that it will cost us more thant we're used to for maintainance, but we are ok with that.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Kept mine, going on a year since repair. Engine is strong. Agreed, hard to find a comparable vehicle at comparable price. My other choice would be the Audi Q7, but just too expensive. That said, I do think the XC is a needy vehicle. Since the balance shaft (and alternator), I've had to replace the ignition lock cylinder (another infamous volvo fault) a few weeks ago, and now diagnosed with failed wheel bearing hub assembly in the rear ($200 part!), and bad inner tie rod end. And months with a passenger airbag warning light. Occupant weight sensor failure? Almost dont want to know.. Seems like its always something with it. Its a great vehicle, my wife loves it, meets our needs and its very nice. But it will likely be my last volvo - just too many things going wrong. BUT, engine is strong... I'm developing a love/hate with that thing.. it is damn nice, enjoyable when all is in working order, but just seems to always need some type of repair. But I'll be keeping it for several more years.
If you think maintenance and repairs on the Volvo is expensive, you will want to run away screaming from the Audi Q7. It was one of the cars I was looking at and considering...for a very short period. The engine is a semi-dry sump engine so oil changes are $300 and usually only the dealer will touch it as most "quick oil change" places don't have the tools and knowledge to do it. It also has the same sunroof draining problems, but the water pools under the passenger seat and destroys the BCM and PCM resulting in a nearly $2500 repair.

I will say, if you have the means and are comfortable with the expense, the Q7 is an amazing SUV. The engine is better, the AWD system is better and mounted the "correct" orientation, the interior is better, and the ride is better. The Q7 also is extremely striking on the road, especially in black. I find that the XC90 looks too much like a "soccer mom" SUV so I threw on some appearance modifications to stand out a bit - oversize tires, running rails, roof rack, darker tint all around :)

It's important to note that the Q7 shares the same platform as the Porsche Cayenne and the VW Touraeg - it's a fairly popular and common car on the road so most european indie mechanics are able to work and service it, but because of the Audi / Porsche influence the parts are still unbelievably expensive. Earlier generation Touraeg and Cayennes also have a abysmal reliability record.

·
Registered
473 Posts
As the exowner of last gen of Cayenne GTS I will echo what pengc99 is saying. You do not know what expensive is until you have owned a fine product from the Fatherland. The Cayenne was also a piece of garbage compared to my XC90. Simple example. The roof was palpable through the liner on the Cayenne even with the Alcantara. It seemed to be made of flimsy cardboard. The console above which had the sunroof button was easily moveable. The A pillar coverings were no where near as secure as the XC90. And then there was that pesky CEL with the engine dying. I would stay away from the Audi/Touareg/Cayenne axis of evil if you think the XC90 is expensive. My XC has been absolutely bullet proof and I am sure yours will be with the new motor. Drive it until the wheels literally fall off. JMHO.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I assume costs are also high with the Audi Q7 diesel?

I asked a friend to consider me when he's ready to sell his.

I'm keeping my V8.

·
Registered
2005 XC90 V8, IPD sways and endlinks, currently shod with Pirelli Scorpion Verde
534 Posts
Consider you in what way Cedarholm ? Consider not asking you !! =)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Consider you in what way Cedarholm ? Consider not asking you !! =)
I worded it funny.

I asked him to let me know when he's ready to sell his Q7. After hearing about maintenance costs for the Q7, maybe I'll pass.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I should be getting my '05 V8 XC 90 back from the dealer next week. The counter-balance shaft and bearing are being replaced at VCNA's expense. I'm also having the timing chain replaced at the service manager's recommendation. Alternator will be replaced before engine goes back in. My confidence in the vehicle has been shaken, though VCNA and my dealer have been great. I love the vehicle and would like to keep it for a couple more years. It is very comfortable, powerful, and relatively efficient consistently returning 23-25 mph on the highway and 17-19 average mpg overall. It now has 140K miles but has been dealer serviced since new. This has been an eye-opening experience to the extremely high cost of repairs when repairs are required, easily double maintenance costs of my Cadillac Seville STS. My questions are mainly directed to those who have had the counter-balance shaft and bearing replaced. Did you keep your XC90? How many miles did you drive before your confidence in the vehicle was restored? Would you keep it or sell it?
In about a year or so,I'll be in the market for a V8.
Keep me in mind, if you decide to sell between now and next year.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I read several times that the improvements were made to the XC90 2007 and up model starting with some engine model serial number....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I am getting ready to buy a 2005 XC90 V8 with 111k miles.... I am crazy for doing this after all the problems I have read about engines failing due to the CB bearing? What should I look for. I know the dealer just replace a wheel bearoing. I am going to check into an extended warranty, Does anyone have any advice or know of a good extended warranty company?

Thanks so much for any info or Confidence you can give me!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts