SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've owned this car for about a month now. The head gasket went and it overheated on the highway.
Mechanic said it would be $3,000-$5,000 CAD to fix depending on the condition of the head.

Honestly I just feel like cutting my losses and selling it, but I'm not sure if there is any interest for it with a blown head gasket.
I'm interested in your opinions on it, I know that a V50 with this set up is quite rare.

Maybe make me an offer, car is located in BC Canada.

I got it from the original owner who took excellent care of it, i have a stack of maintenance records.
Timing, waterpump, alternator were done 20,000 KMs ago.
Car has 200,000 KMs (136,000 miles) on it and it's in great condition.
It has every upgrade option except nav.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Probably not the advice you are looking for but....

1. You will do much better fixing it and selling it than selling in now.
2. I'd get it inspected for other things. It should have plenty of life left in it
3. These things happen to cars with 100K+ miles. Back when I was young I purchased a Saab 9000 with 105K on the clock, the alternator went, I fixed it after thinking I'd made a huge mistake and then put another 100K++ on the clock...best car I ever had.
4. The manual transmission will be a big plus for some, not for others

If you keep it you will get good advice and a virtual shoulder to cry on.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
466 Posts
You'll never get your money back having a shop repair it. Head gasket job is relatively straight forward for a moderate DIY'er so anyone looking for a mechanical project, assuming the body and interior are nice, would love that car. Put it on Craigslist and Ebay and it might bring close to $2,000.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm interested in some good interior and exterior photos of the car.
The car is still at the shop, I'll be having it towed back sometime this week and I will take good ones when I can.
For now i have some exterior ones I took when I first got it. The last owner to great care of it and it is in good condition.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Hmm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Car is SOLD.

Turns out that when it overheated it got hot enough to warp the head, AND warp the block. So the entire engine needed to be replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts