SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has already been covered, but I can't get the SS search engine to work.

I'm moving to an '06 from the killed '05, and have been out of the loop for a while.

Can someone tell me the changes going from '05 to '06, for the MT model. I know about the instant traction feature and the backup warning toy, but that's about it. It looks like the overhead pod has changed and something looks slightly different in the engine compartment . . . . Any chassis refinements? Headlights any better?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: '05 to '06 Question (sgmlaw)

As far as I know, that's about it.
I'm sure that there are some minor hidden changes that no one is familiar with, but basically the same car. Instant traction is it. I've driven 06 XC's and I CAN feel the difference, (off the line).

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts

One change made from 05 to 06 is a new feature with the 4C chassis and DSTC integration.

Given a situation in which DSTC is on, and 4C setting is "Comfort." If DSTC detects that the vehicle is losing control, the vehicle will automatically switch from "Comfort" to "Advanced" without any driver input.

In other words, if you screw up in either Comfort or Sport, the vehicle will switch to Advanced in a further effort to help regain control.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: '05 to '06 Question (R Salesman)

Really!?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: '05 to '06 Question (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Really!?

Yes.

Yannis

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

Quote, originally posted by sgmlaw »
I'm sure this has already been covered, but I can't get the SS search engine to work.

I'm moving to an '06 from the killed '05, and have been out of the loop for a while.

Can someone tell me the changes going from '05 to '06, for the MT model. I know about the instant traction feature and the backup warning toy, but that's about it. It looks like the overhead pod has changed and something looks slightly different in the engine compartment . . . . Any chassis refinements? Headlights any better?

Steve,

the ride seems more refined but I cannot substantiate that with any hard facts.

MY06 Rs get Instant Traction. The Convenience package adds Rear Park Assist and Sun Glass Holder.

Yannis

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: (Token)

Quote, originally posted by Token »
I noticed something called Pre-Charged AWD. My '04 probably doesnt have this. What does it do?

MY05 also do not have that. It is a new feature in MY06 cars. Ina few simple words, a one-way valve has been added (in the Haldex) which allows the system to be pre-loaded with 59 lbs-ft. of torque. This will allow instant traction to be available rather than rely in the previous "1/7th of a wheel turn slip to occur before Haldex kicks in".

Yannis

·
Registered
403 Posts
Re: (GrecianVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »

MY05 also do not have that. It is a new feature in MY06 cars. Ina few simple words, a one-way valve has been added (in the Haldex) which allows the system to be pre-loaded with 59 lbs-ft. of torque. This will allow instant traction to be available rather than rely in the previous "1/7th of a wheel turn slip to occur before Haldex kicks in".

Yannis

Yep, I ve noticed a difference already from my 04 to my 06' They started with the Pre-charged AWD in the XC90 V8 and no its being used more. A nice feature. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
795 Posts
Re: (Mike"R")

Is the newer model as fast or faster than earlier R without the pre-charged AWD feature? The OCT2005 C/D article's 0-60 test (with what was likely an '06 model R) was amost a second off of their test of the '04 model. Was it just the +94 degree heat during that test? The driver's skills? All of the above? Maybe any drivers that have switched to '06 R's and have access to a G-Tech can let us know more about well it does, or if an '04/'05 model R meets up with an '06 they can duke it out to see if there is any difference in performance.

Thanks,
Polartek

·
Registered
178 Posts
Re: (sgmlaw)

I too went from an 05 to and 06. The changes are as mentioned above, the pre-charged Haldex and the minor package changes. The one thing I did not see anyone point out is the addition of the 6speed Automatic over the previous 5-speed.

Now - it may be just me or my car, but it seems the 05 was a bit more quick off the mark than the 06, and that the 05 tranny was a little more direct in what it wanted to do.

I think what iI may be feeling is not necessarily that it's slower, but that the new updated Haldex system is better at delivering the power across all wheels due to the pre-charging. My salesman did tell me at delivery that the new system is much smoother all the way around. My car is still fast, it just doesn't snap my head back as much in 1st and 2nd.

Oh yeah - they changed the Advanced and Sport slightly. In the 05 you could disable the Sport button on the tranny when in Advanced Sport mode. Now you cannot. I used to like to drive around and play with the different combinations, and now it's all Advanced, or not.

I love both my 05 and 06, just each a little differently.

-s-

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

Quote, originally posted by R Salesman »
One change made from 05 to 06 is a new feature with the 4C chassis and DSTC integration.

Given a situation in which DSTC is on, and 4C setting is "Comfort." If DSTC detects that the vehicle is losing control, the vehicle will automatically switch from "Comfort" to "Advanced" without any driver input.

In other words, if you screw up in either Comfort or Sport, the vehicle will switch to Advanced in a further effort to help regain control.

Is that necessarily a good thing? From what I remember of the tech docs for the 4C system, Advanced mode disables a few of the stability features. Plus, I'm not sure having a stiff dampening would always be a good thing in a lost control situation unless the road is really nice and smooth? When I'm in Advanced and the road is too bumpy I feel like sometimes the car is just bouncing off the bumps instead of following them.

Then again, maybe it would have saved me in that accident I had last year.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: '05 to '06 Question (partridge)

Advanced mode does not reduce the effectiveness of DSTC. The explanation that I received was that if you've lost control of the vehicle enough for DSTC to detect it and respond, then chances are that body movement control is an issue. In Comfort or Sport, body movement is greater than in Advanced. So the obvious solultion to help assist regaining control is to do everything possible to limit body movement.

For example, if you're driving at 70 mph down the highway in Comfort, and you make an emergency lane change, automatically switching to Advanced would allow you to perform the manuver, and hopefully without losing control. So in that example, it is certainly a welcome change.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts

Last night while doing launches with DSTC Off and system in Advanced, the traction control warning triangle illuminated briefly. There may have been some fine gravel on the road that caused one side to slip.

Was that TRACS? Is that just active at launches?

DSTC is different right? Reduces power and brakes individual wheels for yaw control. Works with Haldex?

Haldex transfers torque between front and rear wheels based on throttle, wheel slippage and to minimize understeer/oversteer in turns?

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: '05 to '06 Question ("R" Kelly)

DSTC utlizes a yaw sensor in conjunction with an acclerometer and steering inputs to determine if a vehicle is A) about to lose control, or B) has lost control.

DSTC will brake each will independantly (as necessary) and will reduce throttle input if necessary.

TRACS is simply traction control, which is controlled via Haldex. Power can be redirected to maximize tractive capabilities.

There is no way to turn off TRACS.

DSTC can be reduced, or turned off completely.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

Does anybody have those old service documents around that show exactly which systems are affected by the 4c changes? I seem to remember that the advanced setting changed a bunch of them like roll control, etc. I'll dig up the docs when I get home, but I don't have them here.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: '05 to '06 Question (partridge)

Quote, originally posted by partridge »
I seem to remember that the advanced setting changed a bunch of them like roll control, etc. I'll dig up the docs when I get home, but I don't have them here.

Advanced does change a lot of things with the 4C setup, such as damping rates, body roll control, throttle response, etc.

Let's be careful not to confuse DSTC and 4C, for they are two independent systems.

Selecting 4C modes (comfort, sport, advanced) does not change how DSTC works. DSTC works just the same, regarldless of 4C mode. However, in advanced, body roll is controlled the most, etc., so DSTC is least likely to engage in Advanced, and most likely to engage in Comfort.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

Ah.. I found the pdf I was looking for.

According to it, the different control features for 4C are:
CSA = Comfort Sport Advanced
DLC: Dive and Lift Control
BGC: Brake Grip Control
DBC: Dynamic Body Control
LDC: Load Dependent Control
BRC: Bump and Rebond Control
WHC: Wheel Hop Control
DCC: Dynamic Cornering Control
AYC: Active Yaw Control
ASC: Advanced Sport Control

Brake Grip Control and Dynamic Cornering Control are shown as activated in Advanced with everything else shut off. There's also a chart with lists of parameters monitored.

Here's a link to the PDF, more info than I can possibly summarize:
http://rapidshare.de/files/177....html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts