SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning SS,

My 1997 855 (manual, FWD, w/ A/C) has a bad radiator; it split on the drivers side bottom where the plastic end tank meets the aluminum core. So, as far as I see, I have three options:

1) Source a 'new' radiator from a junkyard here for (hopefully) cheap.

2) Buy an all aluminum kickass radiator for my '05 S60R (manual, w/ A/C) and put the OEM radiator into the 855.

3) Buy an all aluminum kickass radiator for my brothers 1996 855R (autotragic (for now), w/ A/C) and actually install it into my 855. We'll pull it and install it into his 855R at the same time we pull the manual bits out of my 855 for his manual swap, etc.

What say you, 850 owners? Will the OEM rad from my R fit the 855? TIA!!

-Steve

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Good morning SS,

My 1997 855 (manual, FWD, w/ A/C) has a bad radiator; it split on the drivers side bottom where the plastic end tank meets the aluminum core. So, as far as I see, I have three options:

1) Source a 'new' radiator from a junkyard here for (hopefully) cheap.

2) Buy an all aluminum kickass radiator for my '05 S60R (manual, w/ A/C) and put the OEM radiator into the 855.

3) Buy an all aluminum kickass radiator for my brothers 1996 855R (autotragic (for now), w/ A/C) and actually install it into my 855. We'll pull it and install it into his 855R at the same time we pull the manual bits out of my 855 for his manual swap, etc.

What say you, 850 owners? Will the OEM rad from my R fit the 855? TIA!!

-Steve
I would talk to your brother. I think he might have JUST installed a brand new OEM radiator for his 855R. IIRC, he bought it right before Lucky came out with the all aluminum one and then he cried himself to sleep every night for a solid week, cursing his luck. I think he was drinking heavily too.

Anyway, I'm sure he would be more than willing to swap radiators with you. That being said, dude.....I seriously doubt it would work. It was a super tight fit, plus the intercooler won't line up. Plus you would have to figure out the oil cooler lines, since doesn't the SR have an oil cooler built into the oil pan? The 850's have lines running into the radiator.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Wait, ****, your 855 isn't turbo, is it? In which case, disregard everything I said about intercoolers and oil coolers and such, and factor in a *tiny* bit more room. I still don't know if it would work though.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
And THEN you would have to figure out how to mount the condensor on the 855. The S60R's radiator doesn't have the tabs for it.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Harumph :-/ Looks like I'll just go with the junkyard find then. I got a 50 Euro radiator from a junkyard for a 2.3l I5 850, non-turbo. I'm guessing that it'll work for my 2.0l I5 non-turbo; I can't imagine that Volvo would go to the trouble of sourcing a separate radiator for the slightly smaller motor...

-Steve

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Yea, THAT part I have no idea.

Btw, I'm heading over to Kathy and Marc's for thanksgiving, and I'm giving mom a bunch of cash I owe her, along with the $400 I bummed off you for the wheels. So, you should have that next week.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Schweet, sounds good. I'll let you know about this POS 855; I swear this car hates me. I'm heading out to it again shortly to try to convince the bolts to release their death grip on the radiator... :-/

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, und Ich bin fertig. Holy crap that was rough. Drilled out the two bolts and replaced with new hardware. It's done. Mad props to all you with turbo's who've done this job; it was hard enough without an intercooler in the way.

-Steve

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Ok, und Ich bin fertig. Holy crap that was rough. Drilled out the two bolts and replaced with new hardware. It's done. Mad props to all you with turbo's who've done this job; it was hard enough without an intercooler in the way.

-Steve
Sweet!

I think yours was just a bitch because of rust....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts