SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Volvo S60R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! Glad to be a new member of this forum - there's a fantastic wealth of information on here. It's fascinating to see the ebb and flow of the fads of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, etc), while the best way to communicate for the last two decades with certain groups remains the same -- through these kind of forums.

I digress...

I recently bought my brother's 2005 Volvo S60R and I absolutely love the car. The only gripe I have has been the stock HU-650 audio head unit. I installed a GROM unit in the car, but that has left a lot to be desired and feel the sound quality is lacking. I would prefer to upgrade to a new head unit that offers Apple CarPlay and the ability to keep the steering wheel controls and parking sensors, as well as an option for a backup camera (obviously not imperative because of the parking sensors, and I'd almost rather have a camera in the front to avoid curbing the body kit when I park).

I have read a lot of threads on here about aftermarket audio installs and the pros and cons of certain head units, but I feel a number of these posts are now dated (2011-17), especially with the leaps in technology and operating systems offered year over year. Does anyone have any more recent advice/recommendations or can point me in the right direction of a more recent thread?

Some things to note:
  • I really like the look of the BluePower unit, but understand there are a lot of problems and frustrations with the company and the unit.
  • It would be ideal to do the install myself, but I also don't mind paying someone to do it - any recommendations on who I could go to? (I'm in San Diego, CA)
  • How do I avoid the car throwing error codes during install? I understand how to the negative terminal of the battery, & turn key to position II when hooking it back up, but is there anything else to be aware of? Do I need to take it to a dealer beforehand for the computer's sake?
  • I have upgraded Infinity speakers in the front with an Infinity sub (with a built in amp, so no external amp).

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
HU-650 is the head unit used in either the base or midrange stereo set.

I think you'd have to add in an amp and replace your speakers to really get a better sounding stereo.

·
Registered
2005 Volvo S60R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HU-650 is the head unit used in either the base or midrange stereo set.

I think you'd have to add in an amp and replace your speakers to really get a better sounding stereo.
Thanks for the feedback and I understand that. I have Infinity speakers and sub with a built-in amp, so the sound is great on CDs/radio but the GROM unit isn't ideal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
With a dash kit and wiring harness, there are a ton of options at any budget. Pioneer's got one with an 11-inch screen that pretty much turns any car into a Tesla (which you may or may not find appealing).

Most of them don't have a CD slot, so check that if it's important to you. Crutchfield should be able to hook you up with the right dash kit and harness.

·
Registered
2004 S60R M66 AWD and 2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD - Climate Pkg, Versatility Pkg, and Convenience Pkg
777 Posts
With a dash kit and wiring harness, there are a ton of options at any budget. Pioneer's got one with an 11-inch screen that pretty much turns any car into a Tesla (which you may or may not find appealing).

Most of them don't have a CD slot, so check that if it's important to you. Crutchfield should be able to hook you up with the right dash kit and harness.

I can indeed confirm that Pioneer's 11-inch screen, the DMH-WT8600NEX, is a screen straight out of Teslas. I put one on my 2008 XC90 V8 and I love it. If it's your thing, go for it--they're excellent units.

Here's the Crux wiring harness: Amazon.com: Crux SWRVL-54 Radio Replacement Accessories : Electronics

Here's the Metra dash kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017HUXK98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went with the Sony XAV-AX1000 headunit because I wanted a smaller unit to match the smaller size of the cockpit, and also a volume knob because I feel the pain with the lack of it in my XC90's Pioneer.

·
Registered
2005 Volvo S60R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can indeed confirm that Pioneer's 11-inch screen, the DMH-WT8600NEX, is a screen straight out of Teslas. I put one on my 2008 XC90 V8 and I love it. If it's your thing, go for it--they're excellent units.

Here's the Crux wiring harness: Amazon.com: Crux SWRVL-54 Radio Replacement Accessories : Electronics

Here's the Metra dash kit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017HUXK98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went with the Sony XAV-AX1000 headunit because I wanted a smaller unit to match the smaller size of the cockpit, and also a volume knob because I feel the pain with the lack of it in my XC90's Pioneer.
Super helpful, thank you and @swiffcliff for the input and the links. I definitely feel the 11" would be overkill in my S60. I don't mind a smaller head unit and like the idea of a volume knob as well.

It looks like the Dash Kit covers the space where the phone storage cubby is and I'm not seeing another alternative where there's a kit that integrates with that - part of the reason I really like the look of the BluePower unit is because of how integrated it looks with the existing stock display (I was scared away by all the issues and lack of response people who bought and installed the unit are dealing with). I guess I can't have my cake and eat it too?
Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Reactions: 08XC90V8

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
876 Posts
Stay away from the bluepower. I had one of the old original ones and it lasted for about 2 years before being completely useless. Audio was fine at best, maps never worked, I barely even used it before it died. Sure, the new ones are better most likely, but you'll have no warranty support. At least if you purchase from crutchfield you'll have someone to complain to if things go wrong, and they can actually help walk you though the install.

Reactions: Caz7

·
Registered
2004 S60R M66 AWD and 2008 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD - Climate Pkg, Versatility Pkg, and Convenience Pkg
777 Posts
Stay away from the bluepower. I had one of the old original ones and it lasted for about 2 years before being completely useless. Audio was fine at best, maps never worked, I barely even used it before it died. Sure, the new ones are better most likely, but you'll have no warranty support. At least if you purchase from crutchfield you'll have someone to complain to if things go wrong, and they can actually help walk you though the install.
I can't emphasize this enough. I always see eBay alternatives and cheap units from abroad available that retain the aesthetics of the interior. However, they lack big time when it comes to the actual thing that matters: quality.

Go DDIN.

·
Registered
777 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts