SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, timing belt broke at low rpms...I shut off car in like 2 seconds and coasted to the side of the road. Now looking at parts...may need a head job and valves. Found someone to do it for around $800 including head work for $350. All I have to do is get a timing belt kit gaskets and seals, and valves. Thinking about going with Inconel Exhaust Valves from Viva... Anyone know why they only sell exhaust valves. Cuz I want inconel intake valves as well if I could.

Any help would be great thanks.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
First of all I am sorry to hear about this, seem to recall you had numerous transmissions problems not too long ago, must be frustrating with all these major failures.

Secondly I have a few questions about the timing belt incident: did the belt actually snap or fall off due to idler pulley wobble, etc..?? What was the condition of the belt, mileage?

Third, what does the $800 inlcude exactly? Parts and labor for fixing everything or just reassemble with your provided parts? What headwork for $350? Has the engine already been dismantled?

Fourth, I wouldn't bother with aftermarket valves, not sure what their marketing but OEM Volvo valves are gonna be your safest bet for a street car.

Anyways, depending on the extent of the damage, your skill level and time frame you night be able to save some cash and learn a ton by doing most of this yourself with the obvious exception of the machine work. I wish you the best of luck in this scenario. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
102,000 on belt. It frayed and ripped clean. Idk if anything is damaged but should I send valves to get cryo treated? Head decked and cryo treated and ceramic coated?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Dang, that's technically under the recommended 105,000 mile interval but obviously too late for the belt. That's a shame, had you noticed any wear on the belt before this? I don't normally wait for 100,000 though, I prefer to change it around 85,000 just to be safe.

Re: cryo treated valves, I guess it depends on your current valves condition and your goals, budget, etc......for a normal use car I'd stick with OEM replacement parts and let the machine shop decide what needs to be milled, etc.....

Hopefully your valves don't look like this pic Tech from Volvo Forums posted:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How expensive is cryo treating? I'm just going to buy all new valves they are $10.00 a piece from FCP

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Normal valves (oem) are ok for your car. I you are rebuilding the head i suggest to check pistons and rings, really easy with your gead off.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a call yesterday. Only bent 2 intake valves everything else is fine. So I should have it back by end of this week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts