SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 S40 T5 and I need help. I need to know how to set the crank to put on a crank pulley. I have been looking for a long time and have come up with nothing. Any help is much appreciated. Also if anyone knows how to check timing on this particular car would be very helpful.
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Cyl #1 (far left)TDC on the compression right? and then Pulley mark should be straight up? Others should chime in to double check me.

Easy way? Pull all the coils off, pull the valve cover off - pull #1 spark plug and put a dowel in there and rotate the crank when neither cams are touching the valves and the dowel is at it's highest point, that should be TDC.

But one of the more experienced people here should chime in just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well, the crank and the pulley are keyed - it only goes on one way. Except I have heard of someone putting it on backwards. Anyway, the smaller end goes on facing the engine.

Why is the crank pulley off?

Anyway, there is a torx 50 cover behind the starter. Remove that cover and you can install the special tool that puts the crank in the proper position for timing. As avenger09123 alluded, the mark on the crank pulley will align with the mark on the oil pump when the crank is aligned for timing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought the car not running. I have the tools to lock the cam and the crank. The cams are locked on #1 but the crank tool does not even touch the crank or stop it. This is a double VVT. Thank you both though!

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Some Back Ground on Volvo - Location and Not Running - What's the Story ?
Like it's Seized or Blew Up ? ( Drove it in the Water ) etc.

May want to get an Inspection Scope - @ Local Dealer to take a look at Piston Tops - too see If even worth the Effort !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know really any history on the car. Just bought it from someone random who it just quit on. It had a clutch put in 6 months ago and timing belt was done 10,000 miles ago. Noticed that the crank sensor was broke by the bell housing, replaced that. Started for 3 seconds, then died out. Checked the timing belt and it appeared to be right on. Noticed that the crankshaft nut was missing and read some posts that the crank pulley could moved on some models. Have all the special tools for setting the cam and the crank and noticed that the exhaust cam VVT was wet with oil and had dripped onto the belt. I am going to install a new exhaust VVT with cam seals and the crankshaft sprocket. Locked down the cams with the special tool, put in the special tool behind the starter where the torque 50 is, went to pull the crankshaft sprocket and it turned freely instead of being locked. My question is how do I know where the crankshaft sprocket is to be to put the belt on. I also had codes P340B, P341B, and P341B from the beginning.
Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts