SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2005 S40 T5 AWD with the 6 speed with 137,200 miles on it. I've noticed that the car is getting louder lately especially when I turn off center. The noise is there whether or not it's in gear and
Gets louder with the speed of the car. Any ideas on what this could be? Hoping that it's not too expensive to fix

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was thinking... Any idea how much they are to have done?

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Hey guys I have a 2005 S40 T5 AWD with the 6 speed with 137,200 miles on it. I've noticed that the car is getting louder lately especially when I turn off center. The noise is there whether or not it's in gear and
Gets louder with the speed of the car. Any ideas on what this could be? Hoping that it's not too expensive to fix
If it is louder when turning right - drivers side bearing
If it is louder when turning left - passenger side bearing

Just had one done on my car, took all of 45 minutes.
Nothing too wild, basically your local part cost, plus an hour of labour.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Rears take minutes, since they are a bolt in assembly. Fronts cannot be done without an H press required to press the old bearing out and new one in, let alone without the special tools I wouldn't even want to bother trying it myself.

From your description I would definitely look into bearings.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
Just had my left front bearing done - $350 parts/labor at the stealership.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm definitely taking this to my local guy that does a lot of Volvos, not tackling this myself... I don't think the rears are bad, noise seems to be coming only from the front. Wondering/hoping that it's just the front passenger side that is bad. The car is generally loud, but significantly louder when turn the wheel left, turning to the right doesn't sound much different from straight. Is there a way to tell if they're both bad other than just the sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts