SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Ladies and Gentleman. I am new to the Volvo world and would like to delve into the vast knowledge of you good folks. As a warning, this is going to be long, I apologize in advance.

I picked up an 05 S40 T5 AWD for $300 to use as RallyX car. I wasn't looking for a Volvo by any means. But I'm a fan of the older Audi 5 cylinders and thus the Volvo's T5 was intriguing. Price was more than right too. The catch was it had a slipping trans. Which I promptly finished off at the first RallyX event. I've since swapped in a brand used unit, and have now successfully run an event issue free.

I had a blast and was pleasantly surprised at it's overall performance. Finishing 4th out of 12 in stock class with essentially no seat time or familiarity of the car.

So. Thus leads to my two main set backs of the car and my questions:

-Stock height -

It has a woeful amount of clearance, especially at the front. At the last event the ground was soft and quickly rutted. I intend to install a skid plate, but the high centering was affecting traction.

Before I start into fabbing something. Are there any quality metal skid plates available?

I see that there are strut spacers available for the front. What is the proper size spacer to level the car?

I intend to go up in tire size as much as possible. What's the max (sidewall) that will fit in oem 16's with the spacers installed? 205/70r16?

Is there any way to lift the car all around? Perhaps via a suspension off a Volvo SUV?

-Haldex-

While this performed way better than I was expecting, I would prefer constant awd. Also, the ability to disengage the ABS is rather essential.

I can't find any haldex controllers on the market for this generation. Gen 3 I believe. So I've been researching how it functions. It seems to me it could be controlled with a stepper motor controller for the pin and a switch to run the pump. Thoughts?

I've read the pump can over heat. But I'm not too concerned with that. Runs are less than 2 minutes each with a decent amount of time to cool off in between.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hi and welcome!
Always great to see another T5AWD, although it doesnt seem like default choice for rallyX type events, from what I know :p My experiences so far with Haldex and amount of fun it can provide are limited but also far from joys of RWD or proper 50/50 AWD .
You may want to read this thread if you havent yet, but even with this mod (IF it works for you) it may not provide results you are looking for.
ABS disable is actually easy as you can just pull the fuse for whole control module, effectively disengaging all traction/stability controls (if equipped) and also ABS, if I remember correctly. You wont even need to use dr Jonez "de-nanny mod" (hardwire switch to disable DSCT but leaving ABS on). Look for this in FAQ section if interested more.

suspension - well, from my experiences I can say that stock (fresh) suspension is monstrous and if you feel your car is saggy/low maybe its suspension is just worn? Stock shocks/springs for AWD making it look a bit like small XC model, see mine below. if thats not enough and you need to lift it more, than Im not sure what to recommend.

aaf67892-8b6e-43e9-8266-f82b2f564287.jpg

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
510 Posts
IPD sells aluminum skid pans.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Stepper motor controller like those shown on some VW forums & YT won't work with our Gen Haldex. I did find a guy on VW MK6 forum that made a manual controller for our version Haldex. This POST outlines his directions.. Personally, I want to make one using arduino & LCD to control it. I don't have any details to share as this will be down the road. I still haven't done the hardware conversion to AWD yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may want to read this thread if you havent yet, but even with this mod (IF it works for you) it may not provide results you are looking for.

-Thanks! Reading through this, it sounds like it's more of a 40/60 split. 50/50 would be most ideal. But for RallyX I would prefer the pull more than the push.

ABS disable is actually easy as you can just pull the fuse for whole control module, effectively disengaging all traction/stability controls (if equipped) and also ABS, if I remember correctly. You wont even need to use dr Jonez "de-nanny mod" (hardwire switch to disable DSCT but leaving ABS on). Look for this in FAQ section if interested more.

- I was under the notion that pulling the abs fuse would completely disable the haldex. Since the haldex uses abs and traction control inputs to function. Rendering the car essentially fwd. Perhaps that is only the later gens?

suspension - well, from my experiences I can say that stock (fresh) suspension is monstrous and if you feel your car is saggy/low maybe its suspension is just worn? Stock shocks/springs for AWD making it look a bit like small XC model, see mine below. if thats not enough and you need to lift it more, than Im not sure what to recommend.

- That's about what my rear clearance looks like. But the front seems much less. The car sits stanced like a pickup truck. I'll try to get a picture.

Do you know if a 205/70r16 would fit under stock height?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

-Thanks! Reading through this, it sounds like it's more of a 40/60 split. 50/50 would be most ideal. But for RallyX I would prefer the pull more than the push.
Yes, in general it change the 70/30 characteristic to more 60/40 with more aggresive engagement, but from my understanding you will never achieve the same results as most simple Subaru or whatnot, due to nature of Haldex Gen2/3 so maybe dont get your hopes too high.

Fair point with ABS and haldex - no clue whether it will or not disable it, never thought of it. I only applied "de nanny" mod as its my daily driver and ABS is somewhat handy to have ;)

205/70/16 ? thats about 60mm / 2'' difference in diameter, on mine it probably fit no problem but not sure about wheel turning and clearance....
I understad you are looking to do something like this? :D
FB_IMG_1555284812424.jpg

·
Registered
765 Posts
Stepper motor controller like those shown on some VW forums & YT won't work with our Gen Haldex. I did find a guy on VW MK6 forum that made a manual controller for our version Haldex. This POST outlines his directions.. Personally, I want to make one using arduino & LCD to control it. I don't have any details to share as this will be down the road. I still haven't done the hardware conversion to AWD yet.
That actually doesnt sound that difficult. Would be very interested in this ! I have no experience with controllers or anything. Can I just have a switch that allows power to the correct pin and then put the right resistor in for the correct amps?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm also building and running a V50 AWD I rallycross. Performs surprisingly well, biggest problem with these is when something breaks its usually expensive and difficult.

Check for the Spacers on top of the front struts. They should give you pretty good clearance. Mines fine but the events I run aren't too mucky and rutted, ride heights not a huge deal. I'm running the dr jonez de nanny with ABS still active and am very happy with how it feels. I'll post a pic with the top of the strut. You should be able to tell of you have the spacer or not just looking from the top.

For myself with AWD control, just plan on doing the upgrade gen 3 controller.

If you figure out a good working alternative, please share, I would be very interested.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Idk if it's lifted but there was a black V50 floating around here on some fat AT tires. Not sure how to track that down though.

If you take off the front bumper that'd give you a better approach angle.

You could probably easily fab a skid plat from some corrugated steel roofing. The IPD plates cost about half what you paid for the car to start with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got around to checking. Looks like I do have the oem front spacers? ( I took a picture but can't figure out how to upload it)

I don't really have a good flat surface to check. But it looks like I have about a 3/4 inch difference in wheel well gap front to rear. Thinking of getting a taller spacer to even it out. Any one have a good source? The ones in eBay come from Russia.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Finally got around to checking. Looks like I do have the oem front spacers? ( I took a picture but can't figure out how to upload it)

I don't really have a good flat surface to check. But it looks like I have about a 3/4 inch difference in wheel well gap front to rear. Thinking of getting a taller spacer to even it out. Any one have a good source? The ones in eBay come from Russia.
They make 30mm spacers for the fronts and rear struts/springs. unfortunately they come from the russian federation, so you may not get them before your credit card number is stolen. They're on EBAY.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts