SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm recently facing a very annoying problem with my car. Every time I shut the engine off, the key is getting stuck halfway between the 1 and 0 position, with the power still on and everything. Usually after I try to turn it left and right for a few minutes I hear a click, and that's when i can get the key into 0 and finally take it out. However it sometimes stays stuck for longer, say 10 or even 15 minutes. My guess is that it isn't going to get better and eventually I'll end up with my key stuck in there indefinitely without any way of taking it out. Has anyone encountered the same problem? what is the repair needed and how much do you guys think it's going to run me?

Thanks

·
Registered
989 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me during a 2,000 mi trip except in my case, the key would not turn to zero nor would it come out of the dash.

I read the ignition thread and as I'm sure the ignition module was the culprit in their cases, it was not for mine. Mine was resolved by pulling the panels by the gearshiift (auto) and lubing the plunger connected to the shift linkage that tells the car "I'm in PARK". That's all it was, my local indie took care of it for 1 hour labor. Yes!

The interim work-around while on the trip? Key WOULD NOT come out of the dash so threw a coat over the dash to hide the key, used my spare key to lock the doors (I always take my second key with me on long trips - +1!) and went under the hood to disconnect the battery. Used the valey key to open the door next morning, reconnect the battery and drive away. Frustating to say the least especially when stopping for lunch or gas, second key (or just the embeded valet key) sure helped.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
(I always take my second key with me on long trips - +1!)
I am so there now!!! Last fall I traveled and when packing the car from a friend to go see some in-laws on thanksgiving day my key unknowingly slipped out of my hand. The car had automatically locked so I close the rear door and ouch! realized I don't have the key! You live you learn so now I always take the spare with me.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I am so there now!!! Last fall I traveled and when packing the car from a friend to go see some in-laws on thanksgiving day my key unknowingly slipped out of my hand. The car had automatically locked so I close the rear door and ouch! realized I don't have the key! You live you learn so now I always take the spare with me.
I have just the metal key insert hidden in a key hidder on my car, I want to say where to give ideas (I'm also proud of the creativity of the spot), but I am hesitant about posting that across the internets. I live about 25 miles from work so having my wife bring me my spare is not a convenient option.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I have just the metal key insert hidden in a key hidder on my car, I want to say where to give ideas (I'm also proud of the creativity of the spot), but I am hesitant about posting that across the internets. I live about 25 miles from work so having my wife bring me my spare is not a convenient option.
I thought of doing that but never took the time to look for the perfect spot (not obvious AND secure so it stays there and doesn't corrode). You can always PM me but hey I totally agree, no need to give that away on the net, you never know! :)

On top of my head I'll give some possible ideas... (not to guess yours just for others benefit :D)
- Under the rear ledge of the hood
- behind the fog light cover(s)
- or accessed through the fog light covers opening
- Somewhere by the rear bumper but may require installation of some secure box of sort
- A little more difficult to get to: inside the mirror cover

so many good places to explore :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts