SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of having my original clutch replaced on my '05 S40 T5 AWD and my mechanic is having quite a time with it!

Does anyone know if Volvo did any kind of redesign on the clutch within the last 6 mos. along with a slight manufacturing variance? The flywheel has also been replaced (A/M) and he has put (2) OEM clutches in it, but he says it feels terrible. He says it just has no feel. You could push it down with a feather, it slips, then grabs - which is just not right. He says the pressure plate doesn't have enough force so there's no pedal feel.

Did Volvo or the manufacturer go to a lighter pressure plate? Was it because they were having master cylinder failure issues? Or was it because the increased pressure plate force was causing flywheel failures?

He also works on Mini's and said they redesigned their clutch because they were having master failures from the clutch force. However, instead of redesigning a stronger master, they just put a wimpy clutch in it.

He's asked around to his contacts and no one seems to have any information on these questions, so I'm curious if anyone here might have some insight or direction!!

Thanks in advance for any help!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
There WAS a redesign, but it was pretty late, like 2011 and later.

The master cylinders on these cars are known to fail, and since it's paired with an integral slave/throwout bearing, it's best to replace most of the hydraulics while you're in there: slave, vent tube, and master.

The right part numbers should be 30783254 on the clutch, 31259452 on the flywheel, 31258380 on the slave, 30787651 on the vent tube, and 31367404 on the master.

It will probably take a fair amount of bleeding to get it to feel right.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Hopefully he cycles the air out of the ABS too in the process of the bleeding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts