SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm hoping you guys can help. I drive a 2005 Volvo S40 2.4i Manual with 149,282.

My car recently started leaking coolant over the last week. I kept an eye on it and filled it to the max line every other day to prevent the engine from overheating. On top of the coolant leak, oil started leaking by the timing belt cover as well. I took it to the dealer today and they quoted me with these problems:

- Coolant level is dropping because there is a leak by the Thermostat.

- Front engine oil seal is causing a leak and has saturated the timing belt cover

- Front struts have leaked out all remaining oil

- Control arm hydrobushings leaked out all remaining oil.

- Right upper motor mount torn (Note made by mechanic: "Only 3 motor mounts on car!")

I'm planning on leaving the country to go teach English in 18 months and then I won't need this car. I have found a mechanic who will do the labor for $480 on all of these items as well. My questions for you guys are:

1). Will replacing the thermostat with a proper gasket stop this leak or do I probably need a new housing unit?

2). What seal/part number would be the seal that needed to be replaced if it was leaking on the timing belt cover (Part #6842273?)?

3). Wondering whether or not it is worth getting the car fixed? Should I just trade it in and get a lease?

4). Could I skip getting the struts, control arm hydrobushings and right upper motor mount replaced? If not, how severe are the consequences?

5). The heat and heated seat on the driver's side also doesn't work properly.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and help me make a more educated decision!

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Hey guys, I'm hoping you guys can help. I drive a 2005 Volvo S40 2.4i Manual with 149,282.

My car recently started leaking coolant over the last week. I kept an eye on it and filled it to the max line every other day to prevent the engine from overheating. On top of the coolant leak, oil started leaking by the timing belt cover as well. I took it to the dealer today and they quoted me with these problems:

- Coolant level is dropping because there is a leak by the Thermostat.

- Front engine oil seal is causing a leak and has saturated the timing belt cover

- Front struts have leaked out all remaining oil

- Control arm hydrobushings leaked out all remaining oil.

- Right upper motor mount torn (Note made by mechanic: "Only 3 motor mounts on car!")

I'm planning on leaving the country to go teach English in 18 months and then I won't need this car. I have found a mechanic who will do the labor for $480 on all of these items as well. My questions for you guys are:

1). Will replacing the thermostat with a proper gasket stop this leak or do I probably need a new housing unit?

2). What seal/part number would be the seal that needed to be replaced if it was leaking on the timing belt cover (Part #6842273?)?

3). Wondering whether or not it is worth getting the car fixed? Should I just trade it in and get a lease?

4). Could I skip getting the struts, control arm hydrobushings and right upper motor mount replaced? If not, how severe are the consequences?

5). The heat and heated seat on the driver's side also doesn't work properly.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and help me make a more educated decision!

how many hours did he quote you to replace just the front cam seal?

$480 for all of those items is unreal. The parts would run you at least double that. If I were in your position I would do all of that if that's all labor was. It is at least 1 hour per corner to remove, compress, and replace struts.

I only provide one warning. Your leak by the t-stat could be the junction in the main radiator hose cracking. We had a customer toast his engine because it failed catastrophically. That is just a $65 hose and should be replaced on a car that age.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yeah, don't just do the thermostat, if that airbox has to come out (and it does for the thermostat housing) you should go ahead and replace the rest of the big hoses. Mine had a crack and was about to rupture when I pulled it at 110,000ish. If it goes while driving you won't know it until it's too late.

Basically, what ^ said.

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
Yeah, don't just do the thermostat, if that airbox has to come out (and it does for the thermostat housing) you should go ahead and replace the rest of the big hoses. Mine had a crack and was about to rupture when I pulled it at 110,000ish. If it goes while driving you won't know it until it's too late.

Basically, what ^ said.
oh you'll know when it goes. According to my customer coolant fog comes out the vents LOL.

I was sad to see that Gates makes that plastic junction (and I presume the hoses). They are usually good quality.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Holy poop. My dealer said they had a few come in on tow trucks that blew on the highway, I guess they overheated before the customer knew it and cooked the engine pretty well.

I replaced mine with silicone. Not a huge silicone fan but I'd rather have that than plastic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts