SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, 157k KM on my R, the shifts are still smooth, however iam wondering if its worth changing the fluid on a 05 geartronic, it doesnt seem to have a tranny dipstick whatsoever to check the level.

I tried to find solutions via search but iam low on time right now, is it worth getting it checked out at my volvo mechanic or should i leave it as is ?

any infos are appreciated, ty !

·
Registered
195 Posts
The dipstick is under the air box and intercooler to throttle body pipe. 157k Km is about 97k miles so it probably wouldn't hurt to have it changed as preventative maintenance, I recommend Amsoil and use it in my car and it took my hard shifting 5spd auto and made it super smooth again.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Motomaster Synthetic ATF @ The Mother Corporation: Canadian Tire, For $114.99CAD for 20L/21.1qt. JWS3309/T-IV compliant. Also sold in 1L and 5L jugs.

I haven't used it, but it's what I'm going to use on my next flush. A few fellow Canadians have reported great results with the fluid.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It is time for a fluid change in the auto trans, fluid is the life blood of an auto trans.

One of the awesome benifits of an auto trans is that as up you abuse the car driving hard, launching, ect the auto trans responds by turning the abuse into heat, which is transferred into heating up the trans fluid.

The harder you drive, and the more you beat on the car the more it heats up the trans fluid.

After a while the fluid can start to burn, it goes from bright red to dark red then to a brownish color, then finely to black depending on how hard you beat on the car.

Once the fluid is burnt, it's time to replace it. Changing out the fluid is not cheap, but it's much cheaper than a new trans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts