SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for threads to help get this done but haven't found much, anyone have a link to a good diy or any tips?

I just bought an axle that was recommended in this thread -
forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?186128-Definitive-S60R-Axle-Guide!

www.autozone.com/drivetrain/cv-axle/duralast-gold-cv-axle/516778_0_0/

Part # 10933N

Hoping this wasn't too bad of an idea, apparently he ran it for two years with no problem.

Anyway if anyone has some insight on what tools I might want to have handy or what to look for and avoid I'd appreciate it, also where the grease goes.
I have my control arm removed so I'm hoping I don't have to loosen tie rods to get it out.
Also if anyone has the dimensions and spline/teeth count for OEM axles to compare I could use that and the part number for seals that should be replaced.

The axle I bought:
Overall compressed length 21.5"
Inner transmission side 26 splines
Outter hub side 36 splines 48 teeth

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Takes a decent amount of whacking. M66 is designed to not give you a good pry spot...

·
Registered
3,388 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
I can't recall the specific post, but some incredible towering intellect on here once described the circlip on the inner end splines and the associated notch in the transmission as just a matter of correct alignment to remove. That is, instead of using/making a slide hammer to overcome the circlip by force, turn gradually and pry with a pry bar until they eventually line up and it comes out.

Definitely the patient approach compared to the tough-but-quick slide hammer approach, but I'm a patient guy, so I got under there with a smallish pry bar, pried, turned ~45 degrees, pried again, and after about 10 minutes, to my surprise, it came out with one moderate push of the pry bar. I was extremely pleased and extremely unprepared for the gear oil that immediately dripped out in to my face.

The replacement axle I used was a cheap EMPI one. OEM, blah blah blah, OEM...but if OEM were the bee's knees, then we'd never need to replace them in the first place, and I've had OK luck with EMPI axles in other cars.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As far as I know they suck pretty bad to get out. Like mine for instance. Be sure to spin the axle as you're hammering. That clip is awful.

My recommendation is to use a cheap axle tool like the one pictured here:

To avoid the marks shown here:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I've had no issues getting them out with a small pry bar. As stated above, just keep turning the axle while prying and it'll pop.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys were all a great help and with your advise and a patient approach I got it out with really not much effort at all and only one smashed pinky.

I'd like to replace the seal on the tranny anyone have a part number? Do I just pry it off with a screwdriver?

Recommendations for tranny fluid?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I believe so, I am a few weeks out from doing this myself, will post pics etc. Just waiting for the garage to be cleared out and a light week of work so I can use a rental for a day or two while I do this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts