SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I just wanted to add a note to this thread on my experience.

I had very similar symptoms and even work with Jonathan on using his modified connector to try and resolve it.

Ultimately, (I also let Brian know who sells these connectors on ebay) the solution was:
* connect the black wire from the connector to the two shield wires (the two sheild wires are connected one to the DIN shield and the other to the RCA sheild)
* do NOT connect the black wire to any ground, rather take the 3 wires and I shrink wrapped them together

For my car, it seems that the ground is addressed already through the DIN shield of the connector back to the amp, so connecting that all up to ground eliminated what sounds like a ground loop.
Hey if you are still around any chance posting a picture of this. Pardon the pun but this reads like stereo instructions and I learn visually.

Thanks for your time

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey if you are still around any chance posting a picture of this. Pardon the pun but this reads like stereo instructions and I learn visually.

Thanks for your time

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Sorry but I don't. It actually sounds more complicated than it is.

You can see where there are a couple of wires that came with shrink wrap on them. All that needs to be done is rather than connect the black wire from the connector to ground, connect it with the 2 wires that were shrink wrapped together and then either tape them up or shrink wrap them back up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This thread just saved my sanity. I rewired my new radio install at least 3 times with no success. It turns out that all I have to do was connect the ground with the two wires that were shrink wrapped together on the amp harness. Thanks from 5 years in the future!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I ran into this same issue with an Alpine Halo9 head unit, using the factory amp harness included in the Metra 709223 kit on my 2005 S60R.

This thread was a TOTAL lifesaver to me. It wasn't quite clear to me what was involved while I reading the thread from my phone in the middle of a head unit install, but after a while I got it.

Basically you need to take apart the DIN connector & re-route the ground wire so that it makes contact with the DIN shield, then re-assemble.

Here's some pictures to illustrate:

Cable Wire Electrical connector Electronic device Technology

Wire Cable Electronic device Technology Electronics accessory

Wire Auto part Floor Cable

Font Technology Tool Machine

Hope this helps someone else as much as this thread helped me!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thank you so much for this thread, it saved me a ton of time. I ended up tieing all three wires (on the din harness) together minus the switched power wire. It also shut up when I touched the din cable ground wire to the back of the radio chassis.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Is the pinout looking at it from the male side or female side on the amplifier? I've been trying to add an amp to my 04 vr and have a cable that has both male and female, 4 rcas and amp on cable to add to the stock setup but no matter what i've tried i get noise

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. I’m trying to use the 4x100 watt
amplifier from and 04 Volvo C70. I’m getting a whining noise when the
system is on with and with out the engine running. I am using the din
cable that is part of part number 3533717. Upon further research I’m find
the cable is for a V70. Im not sure if it’s the right one to use with the
4x100 amp option. Per the post above some of the din sockets on
the amps may be wired differently and corrected in the din cable itself.
I’ve purchased 2 adapters and both generate the same noise when connected.

Is the 3533717 din cable with
2 right angle plugs, the right one to use with the 4x100
amp? BrianG on eBay sells a din cable, should I get that one instead?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Dwane

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Looks like I'm having the same problem with a factory amp and factory hu850 retrofit that I pulled from a junkyard car. It wasn't all from the *same* car so I'm wondering if my cable/hu/amp could be pinned out differently?

Me: 2007 VR gt Slicktop Titanium Grey/Nordkap Wife: 2015 XC60 T6 AWD Ocean Race Past: 2006 V70 2.5T Willow Green/Oak, 2005 S60 2.5T AWD Silver/Black, 1991 745 White, 1982 242 GL Silver

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just wanted to add a note to this thread on my experience.

I had very similar symptoms and even work with Jonathan on using his modified connector to try and resolve it.

Ultimately, (I also let Brian know who sells these connectors on ebay) the solution was:
  • connect the black wire from the connector to the two shield wires (the two sheild wires are connected one to the DIN shield and the other to the RCA sheild)
  • do NOT connect the black wire to any ground, rather take the 3 wires and I shrink wrapped them together

For my car, it seems that the ground is addressed already through the DIN shield of the connector back to the amp, so connecting that all up to ground eliminated what sounds like a ground loop.
Bringing this thread back from the dead just to say this solved my mystery "whine". The PO of my car put n an aftermarket stereo and even after redoing the abysmal wiring job, (wire taps and electrical tape was replaced by heat shrink solder connectors) it didn't get rid of it. I had this amp adapter as described above, and the ground wire was indeed connected to the stereo ground. I clipped it off, twisted it together with the green & white shielding wires, soldered them together, applied heat shrink, put it all back together and no more whine, hum, buzz, or anything of the sort. Thanks again to @hamsterinwa for this post!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead just to say this solved my mystery "whine". The PO of my car put n an aftermarket stereo and even after redoing the abysmal wiring job, (wire taps and electrical tape was replaced by heat shrink solder connectors) it didn't get rid of it. I had this amp adapter as described above, and the ground wire was indeed connected to the stereo ground. I clipped it off, twisted it together with the green & white shielding wires, soldered them together, applied heat shrink, put it all back together and no more whine, hum, buzz, or anything of the sort. Thanks again to @hamsterinwa for this post!
Glad my experience and accidental fix was helpful!!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.