SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working on one of my R’s today that’s been put to the side for awhile and turned the car on to have a message of headlight failure. When I turn the high beams on the passenger’s side headlight does not move up into the high beam position. Is this the active motor that powers this or is there another motor that moves the light? Also is this repairable? I’ve seen threads of people replacing lights because of this. I would rather fix it myself

·
Registered
2006 V70R M66, Titanium/Atacama
221 Posts
I had this issue on mine when I bought it. Ultimately I ended up buying new headlights. That said, the high beam operation is controlled by a solenoid which pitches the reflector up or down, this is the element which fails. Unfortunately it's not a service part I'm aware of from Volvo. I think you have to de-lens the headlight and find a replacement solenoid to swap in.

I have some photos somewhere of an opened headlight, I'll try to find and post tomorrow and indicate the solenoid.

·
Registered
17,295 Posts

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
I was working on one of my R’s today that’s been put to the side for awhile and turned the car on to have a message of headlight failure. When I turn the high beams on the passenger’s side headlight does not move up into the high beam position. Is this the active motor that powers this or is there another motor that moves the light? Also is this repairable? I’ve seen threads of people replacing lights because of this. I would rather fix it myself

You could just add driving lights and get real high beam functionality. Seriously. Cheap xenon car add on for superior night performance.

But back to the actual issue, I have two not in use but worked when disassembled inner headlight “chassis” without reflectors since they went to another project. You can have them if you’d like they’re just taking up space at this point.

Out of curiosity unplug that motor on the malfunctioning headlight and see if the error remains. Activated high and canceled high I believe are set by a position plunger in that assembly and if it doesn’t see an attempt to activate high beams or a failed cancel you may not get an error.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could just add driving lights and get real high beam functionality. Seriously. Cheap xenon car add on for superior night performance.

But back to the actual issue, I have two not in use but worked when disassembled inner headlight “chassis” without reflectors since they went to another project. You can have them if you’d like they’re just taking up space at this point.

Out of curiosity unplug that motor on the malfunctioning headlight and see if the error remains. Activated high and canceled high I believe are set by a position plunger in that assembly and if it doesn’t see an attempt to activate high beams or a failed cancel you may not get an error.
I will give it a try! Maybe interested in the housings. My ultimate goal is to have no messages of course. Adding driving lights, are you talking about a retrofit?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had this issue on mine when I bought it. Ultimately I ended up buying new headlights. That said, the high beam operation is controlled by a solenoid which pitches the reflector up or down, this is the element which fails. Unfortunately it's not a service part I'm aware of from Volvo. I think you have to de-lens the headlight and find a replacement solenoid to swap in.

I have some photos somewhere of an opened headlight, I'll try to find and post tomorrow and indicate the solenoid.
That’s what I was afraid of, I hope it’s just a fluke! Pictures would be awesome!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Talking about putting projectors in the place of the driving lights for bright lights? Is there any write ups or videos about doing this?

·
Registered
17,295 Posts
I will give it a try! Maybe interested in the housings. My ultimate goal is to have no messages of course. Adding driving lights, are you talking about a retrofit?

Say cheese. Like this. Mine are on the official Volvo driving light harness/fuse/button but if your R is an 04 you can cheat and make a super simple and inexpensive high beam signal triggered harness to drive leds, hellas, a light bar, whatever you fancy.

If you have to peel the glass off,

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/p...ors/bi-led-profile-hi-lens-led-high-beam.html

These drl and high beam modules drop into the drl spot on the ya market xenons perfectly.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Say cheese. Like this. Mine are on the official Volvo driving light harness/fuse/button but if your R is an 04 you can cheat and make a super simple and inexpensive high beam signal triggered harness to drive leds, hellas, a light bar, whatever you fancy.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/p...ors/bi-led-profile-hi-lens-led-high-beam.html

These drl and high beam modules drop into the drl spot on the ya market xenons perfectly.
The way my front bumper is someone put some mesh in with the grille and the lower section. I just replaced the grille with a factory one and the lower section that they put in. They secured it through the painted section. I was thinking about painting it black to hide it more. Maybe I could add some lighting on that part really easy. I might be of some interest on how to wire them into the harness

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Just not my taste but those screw holes would probably be hard to see if I took them off. But adding lights to the the mesh may be a easy task

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Do you have a link to the lights you are using?

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could always retrofit some new reflector housings, like the Morimoto Mini, then wire then high beam in. You can use the stock bulb and ballast, and you end up with much better lighting. My car has the older version of these: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi-xenon-morimoto-mini-d2s-5-0-projectors.html
I would like to try and do a retrofit, i love they way they look afterwards and these R headlights need some major help on high beams. I’ve never done a retrofit and it’s sort of intimidating. I’m sure once you do it and go through with it, it’s not that bad. Just a lot of unknowns I haven’t encountered before.

·
Registered
17,295 Posts

·
Registered
2006 V70R M66, Titanium/Atacama
221 Posts
Pictures would be awesome!
Found the photos! And then I labeled them, and tried to explain how it all works… trust me, I'm an engineer? These photos are 2 years old, and I didn't get a lot of time with the assembly being shown here, so anyone please correct anything I get wrong.

First off, I'll establish some nomenclature. Most of the labeling is in red, that's just pointing at stuff to be discussed. An upper case letter is the thing I'm talking about, a lower case letter is the place it goes. Blue items are adjustments, and green is for something that doesn't exist.

Here we go.

Here's the rear one of our headlights, the right one in this case. This was one of my lights that didn't work. Yes, I replaced them both ultimately, that's another long story.

(A) Daytime running light, cap.
(B) Xenon light, cap.
(C) Signal light.
(D) Auto level motor, used to account for heavy loads in the rear.
(E) Manual level adjust, use this to bias the 'zero' position of the headlight up or down.
(F) There's nothing actually here. I read at one point that the internal solenoid could be reached/replaced by cutting a hole in the housing and getting in there without taking the lens off. Honestly, I don't know how that would work, but just putting it out there.

From here on out, this is a sample that my local indy pulled apart that he let me take a look at. So I didn't pull this apart myself, I don't have all the disassembly details. I haven't taken a lens off my headlights. In fact, I still have the old ones, they work great as long as high beam isn't a concern, but didn't pass safety.

This is the right headlight housing with the lens off and internals pulled out.

(a) Daytime running light bulb access.
(b) Xenon bulb access.
(c) Signal light access.
(d) Auto level adjust pass-through.
(D) Auto level motor sitting off to the side, it's actually a plunger that moves in and out.
(G) I believe this is a factory adjust point used to set the reflector assembly position. 3 points make a plane for location, (H) and (D) will establish the other two points. When (D) moves in and out, it will pivot the whole reflector assembly along the (G-H) line, tipping the reflector up and down.
(H) The last fixed point that the assembly would rest against.

Here's the reflector assembly out of the headlight housing. Xenon on the left, daytime on the right. Honestly, I don't know what features actually hold this hole assembly into the housing going off the photos.

Rear of the reflector assembly.

(d) This small black track is where the auto adjust rests. As the reflector assembly tips up and down due to the adjuster moving in and out, the ball end of the adjuster will slide in this slot.
(g) I think the factory adjust on the housing passes through here.
(h) I think the fixed point of the housing rests here.

Rear of the reflector assembly. Now we start to get into some fun, and I'm just speculating on this bit.

(I) This is a motor assembly of some sort which would appear to have a toothed gear output that engages with a disc/gear sandwiched between two levels of plastic. When activated, it would rotate (J), and may be an component of the high beam operation.
(J) This is the xenon bulb mount. There is a shield that the bulb passes into, with openings in certain regions. I believe this whole bit is attached to the rotating disc/gear mentioned above with the screw passing through slots of one of the disc retainer, which would shift where the light is allowed out of the bulb to the reflector. Essentially widening and narrowing the headlight beam when switching between hi/lo beams.

Bottom rear of the reflector assembly.

(J) Here you can see the disc/gear mentioned earlier.
(K) Other element of the high beam function, a small solenoid that extends and pushes the reflector - tipping it upward - relative to the whole assembly shown here. This will tip the headlight beam upward. Unfortunately, I don't have a good photo with the part number. Also, this is what a cut out in the housing at (F) could allow access to. I don’t know how it even comes out, presumably it's captive when the whole assembly is put together.

Right side of the reflector assembly.

(I) A photo of the motor assembly that might rotate the bulb shield. Should be able to read off part number info there.

Right side of the reflector assembly.

(J) Another view, you can see the gear feature of the rotating disc/gear.

That's pretty much all I've got. Below are a few more shots that may be of use, different angles, wider views, that kind of things.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts