SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

04 XC70 roof spoiler?

7K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  gpoore 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#4 ·
OK, thanks. Seeing the pics of ocean racers blue wagon, it looks sharp. Think I am in. Did you have any issues with the lighting? The descriptions say that a brake light is disconnected and left wrapped with tape!?!?

Curious about that...

#5 ·
... The descriptions say that a brake light is disconnected and left wrapped with tape!?!? Curious about that...
From b-bay: The standard brake light is disconnected and covered with black tape.
I think the intent is to hide the existing/old brake light with black tape.

#6 ·
Not sure I am on board with the OE wing, looking at it some more. Is the intent to put black plastic tape on the window to cover the OE center brake light? Seems kinda ghetto!

I am more inclined to go with IPD aftermarket wing, NO light fixture and is a simple bolt on. I like the idea better of NOT changing or tampering with OE wiring. Concern is will the wing cause too much reflection or disturbance of the top center brake light?

Any thoughts?

#10 ·
Not sure I am on board with the OE wing, looking at it some more. Is the intent to put black plastic tape on the window to cover the OE center brake light? Seems kinda ghetto!

I am more inclined to go with IPD aftermarket wing, NO light fixture and is a simple bolt on. I like the idea better of NOT changing or tampering with OE wiring. Concern is will the wing cause too much reflection or disturbance of the top center brake light?

Any thoughts?
The OE spoiler has OE wiring. You simply uplug the current CHMSL and plug in the spoiler. No cutting/splicing/etc. Very simple.

Even if you don't want to cover the existing CHMSL with the black tape, it's nearly invisible anyway.

#7 · (Edited)
Yes, a precut piece of black tape covers the old light from the inside
YOU DO NOT SEE ANYTHING, it's hidden.
You remove the original light and in the countured area you just put the tape.
The glass is very smoked there plus it's UNDER the spoiler, you don't see anything.
It's just to prevent any ambient light from the interior coming through at night

My white 07XC with a factory spoiler I installed only a couple of weeks ago.

#9 ·
HORRIBLE and it won't fit the roof anyway

#11 ·
In my spoiler, the tape got bunched up in one corner of the box so the backing came off and it was ruined. I installed without it, and the original light is extremely hard to see even if you go looking, makes zero difference.

#12 ·
Thanks fellas. JRL, that wagon looks great! Where d you find the mirrors?

OK, I think I ve decided to go with the IPD aftermarket wing. Chatting with them over there, it is essentially the same, without the light! So, no needing to disassemble the tailgate trim. Big sale at IPD middle of the month!

Soon as I get things sorted out, will post some pics...

#18 ·
Thanks fellas. JRL, that wagon looks great! Where d you find the mirrors?

OK, I think I ve decided to go with the IPD aftermarket wing. Chatting with them over there, it is essentially the same, without the light! So, no needing to disassemble the tailgate trim. Big sale at IPD middle of the month!

Soon as I get things sorted out, will post some pics...
You'll still have to remove the tailgate trim, which is very easy. 4 (I think) torx on the lower section and then the top just pops off. You'll need to remove the trim in order to drill the holes for attaching the spoiler. It does not just attach with doublesided tape.

#13 · (Edited)
Sigh on both
Don't you know an 07XC when you see one?
(Mirrors are stock 07 mirrors)
07s have certain one year (last model year) characteristics

#17 ·
JRL are you feeling good? So far your 0 for 2 in the last few posts I've seen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.