SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've dug around the mod/repair index but can only find tail light upgrades for the S60 not the V70. Would it be safe to assume that I can upgrade to a set of 05+ taillights on my 04?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
What's wrong with the lights you have now?
He means upgrade from 04 to 05+ "jewel" style. Some people think they are better looking (I'm not one of them).

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol Its a long term idea/goal. Probably run the originals for awhile. I have a bad habit of not leaving well enough alone and just keep finding things to change haha. I plan to do an 05+ console first. I presume i could just find a set of 05+ later tail lights and just swap them and the light holders out? Same deal as swapping out the SR lights right?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I presume i could just find a set of 05+ later tail lights and just swap them and the light holders out? Same deal as swapping out the SR lights right?
I think there's a very small amount of modification required on the S60, something about sanding off a guide pin or something. Not quite plug and play. For the V70, I have no idea, but would presume it is similar.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Like anyone really notices, but some people love their useless aesthetic mods, lol. :p
Then why are your wheels red and black and timing belt cover red? The later taillights look much better and less outdated.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Then why are your wheels red and black and timing belt cover red? The later taillights look much better and less outdated.
I kinda think they look cheap... I like the LED strip on the side though. The 01-04 ones also fit my not-flashy look for my R. However if one of the assemblies dies I'd probably upgrade them.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
So I've dug around the mod/repair index but can only find tail light upgrades for the S60 not the V70. Would it be safe to assume that I can upgrade to a set of 05+ taillights on my 04?
I believe it's a fairly direct replacement. I've been on the lookout for a set for just this reason, as well. Ignore Stealthy, he's not into visual mods...well, you know, except the ones he did. ;) :p

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Like anyone really notices, but some people love their useless aesthetic mods, lol. :p
When building an overall "look" to the car, it's little things like this that really complete the aesthetic.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Because they were old, beat up and needed to be painted. I'm not a big fan of messing with perfectly good car parts that aren't broken, marred or wore out.

I was happy with the way my R looked when I bought it, I only decided to change the color scheme on a few items during the refurb after all.

I'm aways a fan of more power, but not one of wasting money, as my power -vs- mod situation demonstrates too. :cool:

·
3,899 Posts
05+ Jewels an reverse firing LED's make a HUGE difference in appearance and output.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
05+ Jewels an reverse firing LED's make a HUGE difference in appearance and output.
Yep. They are just plain better looking and better functioning.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Better viability = safer specially in WA with so much rain and not so good drivers lol. I like the 04's but definitely like the newer ones a little better. Has anyone done the swap that can throw some pointers out there? :beer:

·
Registered
947 Posts
05+ tails are direct swap for wagons. I swapped them on my 04 VR.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Any links to these "reverse firing LED's"? Interested for my SR

·
3,899 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
In the amazon link they mention buying a "LED-compatible turn signal relay" instead of adding a resistor in-line. Is there such a thing for our SR/VR's? I thought the issue was that our canbus didn't like the low-voltage and thusly the need for a resistor.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03GV0XRZX0N650SS52ZN

Reverse firing allows them to refract light, utilizing the halogen layout perfectly. The color is 10x better, brighter and I love the instant on.
What about canbus? Do you need to cancel them with resistors?

In the amazon link they mention buying a "LED-compatible turn signal relay" instead of adding a resistor in-line. Is there such a thing for our SR/VR's? I thought the issue was that our canbus didn't like the low-voltage and thusly the need for a resistor.
Cpt Haddock had my next question...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts