SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've fantasized over owning a V70R for the past few years and I have finally found one through a connection that had an impact with a deer. It will need body work, but that's not what scares me. It's a 2004 V70R 6spd manual with 135k miles on it. It doesn't have a major history on Carfax, nor do I have access to a maintenance history. I was wondering what other owners spend annually on maintenance/random problems.

I don't fear doing any of the work myself, but keep in mind I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to working on cars. I've done brakes/wheel hubs (97 850, 02 XC70), shocks, PCV system, and a bit of body work.

TL;DR
What do you spend annually on your 04 P2R and what were the repairs? What random problems have you run into? How hard do you drive your car?

(I tried searching and only came up with one thread bashing the P2R and this one http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?232094-2004-V70R-reliability&highlight=V70R+Reliability)

*if an admin happens to see this, can you change "04" in the title to "P2R"?

·
Registered
602 Posts
If the pre owner didn't take care of all the known issues it could cost you a lot...if he's done the angle gear and struts and timing belt and clutch( if necessary )then your costs will be a lot lower. I was fairly trouble free on my dime because of extended warranty until this year when I had clutch, timing belt, strut and manifold issues. They are not cheap to run. If I spread all the payments annually maybe a couple grand a year?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the pre owner didn't take care of all the known issues it could cost you a lot...if he's done the angle gear and struts and timing belt and clutch( if necessary )then your costs will be a lot lower. I was fairly trouble free on my dime because of extended warranty until this year when I had clutch, timing belt, strut and manifold issues. They are not cheap to run. If I spread all the payments annually maybe a couple grand a year?
It looks like I'm going to be passing on the current car. I think I'll continue shopping around though and attempt to find one with the common issues repaired so that it hopefully balances out to $2,000 a year in repairs.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I bought a bad dog. Body issues and mechanical and all. Spent $4k on it, and $4k in repairs. In retrospect it was a little dumb, but not much. A lot of the $4k was on poly everything and coil overs, so it wasn't a nightmare.

That said, I don't trust it like I would a new Honda or Toyota. It's fun, not reliable.

If I had to do it again, a GTI would have been better I think. In a few months I'll have 35k to spend on a car and it might be a Golf R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It looks like I'm going to be passing on the current car. I think I'll continue shopping around though and attempt to find one with the common issues repaired so that it hopefully balances out to $2,000 a year in repairs.
You need a newer '07 Sapphacama GT like mine .

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I lucked out in my first year. Just tires and a pair of rear shocks. Year 2 will likely be worse since I'm debating doing the FW and clutch around the 300k mark...

Here's a rule of thumb: Every R costs 8k. The 3k R costs 5k to get to the level of an 8k R (in most cases)... 5k can be eaten up quickly with an R but it should leave you with a car that is 0 mile for most of the big stuff. 5k buys a 4C refresh, tires, k24, and a clutch/flywheel if required.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I agree with hounddogger. There are pluses to the cheap route. All new parts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You need a newer '07 Sapphacama GT like mine .

Black Sapphire Metallic w/ Atacama? Black + Atacama is my second favorite combo! Of course Sonicama has to come first <3.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I lucked out in my first year. Just tires and a pair of rear shocks. Year 2 will likely be worse since I'm debating doing the FW and clutch around the 300k mark...

Here's a rule of thumb: Every R costs 8k. The 3k R costs 5k to get to the level of an 8k R (in most cases)... 5k can be eaten up quickly with an R but it should leave you with a car that is 0 mile for most of the big stuff. 5k buys a 4C refresh, tires, k24, and a clutch/flywheel if required.
That's why I was hoping to score the one I was looking at. If it was cheap enough, it would've made a great car to stage 0 all that was necessary to get it daily driveable again. The interior was completely mint and the body looked great except for where the deer hit it. Sadly, I legally can't buy the car due to the laws in Michigan on salvage titles...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Lots of well-loved kms, lots of upgrades, lots of 'refreshed' parts - PM me if you want to know more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lots of well-loved kms, lots of upgrades, lots of 'refreshed' parts - PM me if you want to know more.
I don't have the type of money for one that new and in as good of condition as it sounds. Also, a manual is the goal for me. Yeah, it's slower than the 07 GT trans, but my XC70 has ruined autos for me (I have the "I want to hang out in neutral and slam into gear" XC trans...).

·
Registered
445 Posts
The R takes maintaining and i'm still going trought it after months of owning mine, here is a list of what i have done since i bought my 2005 r a few months ago;

AWD Haldex DEM module rebuild
AWD Haldex fluid change
AWD Haldex pressure sensor
AWD Haldex filter cleaning
AWD AOC Pump
Angle gear sleeve + loctite seal
4C Active chassis sensors
PCV System
Engine oil change
Power steering oil change
Coolant change
Air filter change
Brake fluid change
4 new Brembo rotors
Anti-rust undercoating treatment + detailing
Welded new metal on right strut tower ( ty salt )
5 OEM Bosch spark plugs
OEM Fuel filter
Engine mounts
Transmission mount
Mass air flow sensor
Vida-dice purchase

It's a pretty significant list and i probably wouldnt have bought the car if i knew i had to do all this but hey i feel pretty good after getting it all done now, the car is in amazing shape right now and drives perfectly. After that its just regular maintenance, look up for the most obvious things first, suspension, mounts, turbo, is it drinking coolant, oil condition, awd system and angle gear etc.

If the previous owner does not have any service record to back up the car then theres something to worry about, you know some parts have milage wear and will most likely need servicing at some point, always ask for service records.

I personally have everything i have done listed in documents so the next owner ( IF, i doubt =P ) will have nothing to worry about.

If you can invest 2k at purchase depending on condition and 1k a year into maintaining i say go for it it's a great car !

·
Registered
195 Posts
Something in the steering wheel controls went out, we dont know what yet, its going to be expensive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The R takes maintaining and i'm still going trought it after months of owning mine, here is a list of what i have done since i bought my 2005 r a few months ago;

AWD Haldex DEM module rebuild
AWD Haldex fluid change
AWD Haldex pressure sensor
AWD Haldex filter cleaning
AWD AOC Pump
Angle gear sleeve + loctite seal
4C Active chassis sensors
PCV System
Engine oil change
Power steering oil change
Coolant change
Air filter change
Brake fluid change
4 new Brembo rotors
Anti-rust undercoating treatment + detailing
Welded new metal on right strut tower ( ty salt )
5 OEM Bosch spark plugs
OEM Fuel filter
Engine mounts
Transmission mount
Mass air flow sensor
Vida-dice purchase

It's a pretty significant list and i probably wouldnt have bought the car if i knew i had to do all this but hey i feel pretty good after getting it all done now, the car is in amazing shape right now and drives perfectly. After that its just regular maintenance, look up for the most obvious things first, suspension, mounts, turbo, is it drinking coolant, oil condition, awd system and angle gear etc.

If the previous owner does not have any service record to back up the car then theres something to worry about, you know some parts have milage wear and will most likely need servicing at some point, always ask for service records.

I personally have everything i have done listed in documents so the next owner ( IF, i doubt =P ) will have nothing to worry about.

If you can invest 2k at purchase depending on condition and 1k a year into maintaining i say go for it it's a great car !
I currently invest a little more than $1k/year into fixing up my 850, so I would definitely have no issue spending $2k a year on a car of this power and beauty. Thank you for the very informative reply! What of this did you do yourself and what would you say your skill level is automotively? I'm trying to find a decent car to learn more on, rather than just continuously doing regular maintenance.

Also, miles?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Something in the steering wheel controls went out, we dont know what yet, its going to be expensive.
Are you talking about the cruise buttons/radio buttons?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Are you talking about the cruise buttons/radio buttons?
Those and the turn signal/wiper stalks. We've put two "new" steering wheel modules in it but that didnt fix it, there is a third on the way along with a clock spring. Xemodex checked out the cem and gave it a clean bill of health. The technician checked for continuity on all the wires and they were all good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those and the turn signal/wiper stalks. We've put two "new" steering wheel modules in it but that didnt fix it, there is a third on the way along with a clock spring. Xemodex checked out the cem and gave it a clean bill of health. The technician checked for continuity on all the wires and they were all good.
Oh wow, I didn't realize all of that was run through the same thing. I had Xemodex refurb my ETM on my old 2001 V70. Put it on and the car fired up and has been running like a champ since.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I currently invest a little more than $1k/year into fixing up my 850, so I would definitely have no issue spending $2k a year on a car of this power and beauty. Thank you for the very informative reply! What of this did you do yourself and what would you say your skill level is automotively? I'm trying to find a decent car to learn more on, rather than just continuously doing regular maintenance.

Also, miles?
My R has 158k km on the counter so i believe around 99k miles.

As far as doing the repairs yourself i have a floorjack with plenty of tools in the garage. The only things i didn't do myself was the DEM troubleshooting because i didn't have a scanner to know if there was communication. I did buy a vidadice unit about 2 weeks ago, still waiting on shipping for it to arrive. The next thing i didnt do was the angle gear sleeve, wasnt really sure about the problem at that time and went to a very professional shop and specialized in volvos actually props to garage claveau et fils for offering me great services.

As long as you can scan the car yourself and turn torque wrenches properly paired with a floorjack you should be able to do almost anything on this car. A lift would be the dream though...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts