SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently found a large, unnerving oily spot on my driveway. I didn't notice it until after I moved the car so I can't tell exactly where it came from. It hasn't evaporated so that rules out AC water, it's oily and when I pushed a paper towel onto it it left a pinkish spot not unlike trans fluid. I know my trans has some leaky seals and attempted to have them replaced a couple months ago when I got my trans flushed but the shop said they weren't bad enough to replace. They said it wasn't a leak, but a seep. I've had no other spots like this. I wanted to check my trans fluid but I can't locate the damn dipstick. I've looked everywhere including under the air filter box.
[/url]IMG_0007 by brandon harder, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
590 Posts
It is located under the throttle body inlet pipe.

This can be a pain because you are supposed to check trans fluid when running and up to temp. Wear a long sleeve shirt and glove, get your arm under the pipe going to the throttle body, it is a blind feel kind of situation. Try to find it cold first so you know where it is.... I have put a start in the where abouts in the picture I stole of the google...

·
Registered
527 Posts
Lol, its buried.. under the air box and intake pipe. You can get it out easier when the air box is removed. Small yellow stick

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a warning light/message if the trans/diff/angle gear fluid runs low similar to the low oil message? And does anyone have thoughts on what would cause a large fluid dump like that with no other spots?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Your warning light for low trans fluid would be a transmission service message along with hard shifts and shift flares. So no not really...

I would check the cooler lines going into the radiator.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Large dump? Trans cooler clip broken/leaking or possibly where it attaches to the transmission (o-ring)...If I had to guess its probably the valve body cover.

Thats probably only tablespoon or two worth of fluid that has spread out like that..Still enough to warrant repair.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
"the google" LOL
Can't do this with an 05-07 though, right? I've never seen mine if it's there but know where it is on the s60 and the XC.
It is located under the throttle body inlet pipe.
This can be a pain because you are supposed to check trans fluid when running and up to temp. Wear a long sleeve shirt and glove, get your arm under the pipe going to the throttle body, it is a blind feel kind of situation. Try to find it cold first so you know where it is.... I have put a start in the where abouts in the picture I stole of the google...

·
Registered
527 Posts
Oops, you just had the trans "Flushed" so they had the lines off the radiator.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to update this. The leak seems to only occur when I park in my steep-ass driveway. I typically park in the street because my parking brake is broken but the two times I recently parked in the driveway I had large oil spots under the transmission area of the car. The driveway is uphill FYI. I was able to check the fluid after everyones help (what a PITA!) and it was at a satisfactory level. If it was low, how do you add fluid? Sorry for the amateur questions, it's been a while since I've owned an automatic. I haven't been under the car since all this but I am taking it to the dealer for an alignment here soon and I'm going to have them take a look.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just wanted to update this. The leak seems to only occur when I park in my steep-ass driveway. I typically park in the street because my parking brake is broken but the two times I recently parked in the driveway I had large oil spots under the transmission area of the car. The driveway is uphill FYI. I was able to check the fluid after everyones help (what a PITA!) and it was at a satisfactory level. If it was low, how do you add fluid? Sorry for the amateur questions, it's been a while since I've owned an automatic. I haven't been under the car since all this but I am taking it to the dealer for an alignment here soon and I'm going to have them take a look.
Use something like this:
https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/funnel/flotool-transmission-funnel/557785_0_0

And add something like this on the end, I use an air fitting... It's already on hand, and does the same job, just something rigid on the end of the hose to put into the dipstick spout.

https://www.toolsid.com/lokar/transmission-funnel-adapter-mpn-s-3026.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts