SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first post, I have 2 04 R's - one SR and one VR - both manual. I've already had the AG replaced on the SR back in 2010 but this time the VR needs either collar or AG for sure... no rear drive shaft spin at all. Obviously I just want to R&R the collar and be done with it!

2 Questions:

- I want to avoid buying a used/ new angle gear. Once removed from vehicle, what are the definite indicators the AG is toast?

- I need a recommended AG expert. I'm in the SF Bay and have gone to the same reputable indy shop in san carlos since the early 90's but but after all the years has never replaced / doesn't want to R&R just an AG sleeve which I think is pretty weak - re:" Yeah just pull off the angle gear and check the AG coupler/ collar gear and replace if needed" and I get the deer in headlights look. Movin on.

Need recommendation in the SF Bay for any shop that has lots of experience in AG coupler/ sleeve R&R. Any SS members in the SF bay want to go all Jan Hargis on this? (weld the sleeve onto the AG). Car can be down for days/ weeks - no rush.

I've read plenty of first posts by other members... do I need to post my car pic's?! lol

thanks

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Welcome!

The angle gear generally only needs replacing if the oil inside has fully leaked out and it's been running dry for a while. It doesn't sound like you've had any leaking from the AG. The other scenario is if the splines on the shaft where the collar connects it to the transmission are worn down so much that a new collar isn't going to help. Usually, it's just the collar that needs replacing though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've read plenty of first posts by other members... do I need to post my car pic's?! lol

thanks
Seems like you know how it works... Post pics of your 2 caRs or they'll say you have two camRy's, one is with the 4cyl. engine and the other one is... hybrid, maybe? :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

SR is in mostly perfect mechanical condition. Still feeling out the VR. So far ...VR doesn't handle nearly as well as SR but is a tad cleaner

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that was the VR last week at Mckevitt in san leandro getting latest software updates ...and found out the AG/ collar issue. They have a tech there named John who is pretty kick ass on R knowledge - he's a good man. Mikey is also good people.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts