SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I bought my car, I have hated my center console. It came broken and just looked generally crappy. I got lucky last week and found an 05+ console, manual, and same color code. So I ordered it and got it today, here is the installation guide + pics.

Tools
  • Bone tool
  • Torx #20
  • Penny (any year will do)

Tools:

Step 1 - Cleaning and conditioning the leather. I broke down the whole thing and cleaned it good since once it is in, it will be a lot harder (and less likely) for me to clean it well

Step 2 - Remove the two side panels. Use a penny to turn the screw 1/4 turn. Then slide the whole panel towards the rear of the car and pull it out.

Step 3 - Remove the "ash tray" (or placeholder) in the rear of the panel. I used the bone tool and it was pretty tough to get it to pop out. Once removed, disconnect the cigarette outlet wire.

Step 4 - Remove the coin holder and the cd holder insert from the bottom of the console. You can just pop it up from the front. Then unscrew the two Torx screws in the bottom.

Step 5 - Remove the pen holder using a bone tool. Then remove the gear shift surround. There are two tabs in the front to pull up, then use the bone tool to work up the edges of it. Then unscrew the 2 lower Torx screws that you can now reach with the surround removed. The upper ones are for the CCM.

Step 6 - Take off the spaceball holder (the white piece of plastic over the spaceball). There is a tab in the front to undo, then two on the sides. Once these tabs are off, there are three tabs on the sides that need to be undone from a piece that is under the spaceball.

Step 7 - Remove the console by sliding it back a little then lifting it off. Two things to note here: It was much easier to take the piece that contains the e-brake boot off first (it just kind of pops up, then slide it off the e-brake). 2nd, it is wise to wrap a towel or something around the e-brake so that you don't damage it when pulling off the console and putting on the replacement

Step 8 - Once the console is removed, it is a good time to do a little cleaning! I found a lot of crap that had been stuck to the sides of the seats next to the console where it could not be reached easily. A pic of me using my V-day present from my GF to shine light on the spots I was cleaning. It is a sweet light! Joby Gorrilatorch. It has magnetic feet as well so it can stick anywhere!

Step 9 - I removed the e-brake boot piece from the new console too for easy installation. Remove the gearshift surround as well. It goes back on the same way. I did not remove the back piece to attach the lighter chord, it was much harder on the 05 and I did not want to break anything. It was easy enough to just connect it through the bottom without needing that extra window. Once it's on, slide if forward and make sure that the tabs in the front slide into the right spots. It was a little tough but it popped right in.

Step 10 - Then just reinstall everything the way you took it off. Screw in the screws under the console and in the front of the console, clip the spaceball holder back on, then clip in the gearshift surround.

Another shameless pic of my new light in action!

The finished product! It looks MUCH better!

The upgrade was definitely worth it and was the #1 thing that bothered me since I got my car. I encourage it, it is very easy to do and only took about an hour.

Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Where did you find the console!? ME LIKEY!!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Info about where you found the 05+ console and how much you paid would be appreciated!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
at only a loss of a pen holder. Nice job !
I know :(, my Droid nav mount is gone! I needed to make one for the cubby anyways, so now I have to.

Jealous!!!
Haha you can come by and stare at it anytime Scott!

Where did you find the console!? ME LIKEY!!
Info about where you found the 05+ console and how much you paid would be appreciated!
I got it from Strandberg's Auto in Wisconsin. Shipped it was $200, which I thought wasn't bad at all considering they are about a grand if you piece it together on Tasca haha.

X2 & is the padded armrest removable?
Yeah the armrest is removable, I think there are 3 main parts inside the armrest, so if you needed a different color you could technically just take the top layer off and get the color you need. I think just the armrest is like $300 on Tasca so it would be best to find your color code, or if not, find whichever and then just find that piece at another wrecking yard.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Is there anything particular about the "R" Console - or will a Console from any S60 with the suitable transmission type work?
(Was the "R" the only model available with the "spaceball" shifter - or were other MT S60s the same?)

I love almost everything about my '04 except the cupholder seems really cheap and crappy.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could get one from a different transmission and swap out the shifter plate with the correct one if you can find one around. Buying the plate off Tasca would probably double the cost of your project. I am 99% sure that there is a difference between the S60 and S60R, but I have never looked at an S60 closely so I can't be absolutely sure. I think that is one of the big interior differences though (besides seats and trim) if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Great work! I've been (lazily) shopping for a Gobi 05+ GT center [Hint, hint, wink, wink ;) ]

·
Premium Member
8,709 Posts

Here's mine that I did about a month ago. Completely revamps the interior, I love it! Installation was simple, just be careful when pulling out the old console to wrap your handbrake with tape and a bag. When you take out the console it'll require you to lift the entire thing up and it may scratch your handbrake leather.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Can you check something?

See if the shifter surround portion of the 05 console will clip into the 04 console. Also, see if the compartment with the sliding door from the 05 can fit into the 04 console where the crappy door compartment would go. Looking at parts on Tasca, they look similar, maybe they can just clip in? Instead of the entire console, maybe those 2 pieces can be swapped? They cost about $150 or so new.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Here is mine, well worth the money in my opinion!

Henry

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I do believe the T5s had spaceball shifters.

Also, I miss the pen holder from my '04 S60, but everything else about the 05+ interior is better. Taking the stereo out is like 15x easier.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I want to do this conversion also but finding a RHD console is the hard part let alone the right colour and definately the manual surround will have to be purchased new. I think the cubby box cover should be the same LHD & RHD but it could end up being a very costly exercise but also well worth it.

Regards,

Michael

1 - 20 of 151 Posts